1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the dimension of capacitor given [phi]E and Id

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric field between two circular plates of a capacitor is changing at a rate of 1.5x10^6 V/m/s (ΦE). If displacement current at this instant is Id=0.80x10^-8A, find the dimensions of the plates.

2. Relevant equations

Id=ΔQ/Δt=εΔΦE/Δt
    Q=CV=(εA/d)(Ed)

Q=εAE <-- need to solve for A but do not have E.

3. The attempt at a solution

Q=εΦE = (8.85x10^-12)(1.5x10^6)
    Q=1.33x10^-5

Feel like I must be missing something, I've gone over this problem and relevant formulas for way too long and can't figure out how to determine A (area of the plates) from the information given. Would really appreciate a push in the right direction.
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What happens if you differentiate your formula Q = (εA/d)(Ed) with respect to time?

4. Mar 4, 2012 #3
    Could you elaborate?

I don't see how that helps to solve for A or E

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4

gneill

differentiate both sides w.r.t. time. (what varies on each side?). Does the result mesh with any other formula you've written?

6. Mar 4, 2012 #5
    ΔQ/Δt = CV/Δt = εAE/Δt = Id

Thanks for the reply, still not sure how to solve this. Even with respect to time I can't see how the formulas can be setup to find the plate dimensions (A) without having d, or E.
    :confused:

7. Mar 4, 2012 #6

gneill

So,

ΔQ/Δt = εA ΔE/Δt by your differentiation

and you're given:

ΔQ/Δt = 0.80x10^-8A ; and ΔE/Δt = 1.5x10^6 V/m/s

:rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook