How a pair spectrometer works?

In summary, the pair spectrometer uses three crystals in a line to analyze signals from a beam that is collimated on the central crystal. These signals are produced by the pair-producted electron and positron, and the beam may be diminished due to energy transfer. It is used to study the behavior of photons, electrons, and positrons.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I need to know how a pair spectrometer works but I can't find a book that explains it in detail. They say that it has three crystals located in a line and the beam is collimated on the central crystal and somehow this signal is only analyzed when there are simultaneous signals from the other two crystals. But I don't understand what signals are these! Are they from the pair-producted electron and positron? But if this is the case, the beam collimated at the central crystal should have been diminished and can't reach the central crystal because it gave its energy to the electron-positron pair!
I really don't understand how this device works. I'll appreciate any explanations.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
They say
Who is "they"?
Which beam of what?

It is hard to answer a specific question if your description is so vague.

I would guess you have a beam of photons, electrons or positrons that can lead to pair production, and either the produced pair or the annihilation of positron and electron can lead to signals in the other two crystals - but that is just a guess.

I figured it out. Thanks.

1. How does a pair spectrometer work?

A pair spectrometer works by passing a beam of charged particles (typically electrons or positrons) through a magnetic field. The particles are deflected by the magnetic field, and the amount of deflection depends on their mass-to-charge ratio. By measuring this deflection, the spectrometer can determine the masses of the particles in the beam.

2. What is the purpose of a pair spectrometer?

The purpose of a pair spectrometer is to accurately measure the masses of charged particles. This is important in many areas of science, including particle physics, astrophysics, and materials science. It can also be used to identify unknown particles and study their properties.

3. What types of particles can be measured by a pair spectrometer?

Pair spectrometers are primarily used to measure the masses of electrons and positrons, but they can also be used to measure the masses of other charged particles such as protons, ions, and muons.

4. How accurate are the measurements from a pair spectrometer?

The accuracy of measurements from a pair spectrometer depends on a variety of factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the precision of the instruments, and the stability of the experimental conditions. In general, pair spectrometers can provide very accurate mass measurements, with uncertainties in the range of 0.0001% to 0.01%.

5. Can a pair spectrometer be used to study non-charged particles?

No, a pair spectrometer can only measure the masses of charged particles. For non-charged particles, other techniques such as mass spectrometry or neutron scattering are used.