How about a History Section?

• Thread starter Scientific Method
  • Start date
In summary: which is where you come in!Well, since we already have those forums, Evo, then you are certainly necessary now! :)I agree. We can't be everything to everyone. This site is called the "Physics Forums". I find it inconceivable that people would pick a site with that name to discuss history, or anything else for that matter. I am of the opinion that we already have too many sub-forums unrelated to physics as it is.
Scientific Method
How about a History section?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is classified as a social science, which we have. I may be mistaken though. It's grouped differently in some situations.

I'd consider it a humanity. Anyway, to start a new Forum we'd have to have an overwhelming demand for it. Of course it's Greg's call, but I don't see enough history threads posted to warrant a new section in addition to General Discussion and Politics and World Affairs.

It's considered a social science by university departments in the US. That said, our particular social science forum consists almost entirely of psychometric discussions of race. If you start a thread about a historical topic, someone will find a way to relate it to the lower average IQ of some racial group with inferior genes. If nothing else, we should open up a separate psychometrics forum just to keep it out of the other social science topics.

I don't see it.

SCIENCE= THE FUTURE

HISTORY=THE PAST

Let's think of the future. At least science people seem the unique that today thinks that way. Being afraid by the past leads to the frustration (here, in Spain, we know a lot about it. Our incompetent politicians spend all the time reminding things from the past, in particular from the Civil War. They do not think of the future, and so we roughly get by.)

Sorry, maybe it has nothing to do with the main purpose of this thread, but lately I am angry with this stupid government and his politics of fame. :yuck:

Clausius2 said:
SCIENCE= THE FUTURE

HISTORY=THE PAST

Yeah but you need to understand the past and the mistake made during that time to make sure that mistake are not repeated in the future.

Science is all about the past. You find out what people did and did not do then you try to improve on it.

I will have to agree with loseyourname. History belongs to social sciences. However, the forum has been mostly orientated towards psychometric discussions of race.

Engineering vs science

iansmith said:
Science is all about the past. You find out what people did and did not do then you try to improve on it.
That might be more fitting as a description of engineering:

--
: the science by which the properties of matter and the sources of energy in nature are made useful to man in structures, machines, and products
--
(Merriam Webster Unabridged 3.0)

Hey! A history forum, great idea, but I want a Military history sub forum, and a Napoleonic sub forum to that. While we are at it how about a cooking forum, and maybe a sewing forum...

Hummm... Why don't we stick to Physics.. Historychannel.com has a wonderful history forum.. Wouldn't it make more sense to go somewhere like that where many people who are very knowledgeable in that field hang out? Let's stick to what we do best.

Integral said:
Hey! A history forum, great idea, but I want a Military history sub forum, and a Napoleonic sub forum to that. While we are at it how about a cooking forum, and maybe a sewing forum...

Hummm... Why don't we stick to Physics.. Historychannel.com has a wonderful history forum.. Wouldn't it make more sense to go somewhere like that where many people who are very knowledgeable in that field hang out? Let's stick to what we do best.

I agree. We can't be everything to everyone. This site is called the "Physics Forums". I find it inconceivable that people would pick a site with that name to discuss history, or anything else for that matter. I am of the opinion that we already have too many sub-forums unrelated to physics as it is.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I agree. We can't be everything to everyone. This site is called the "Physics Forums". I find it inconceivable that people would pick a site with that name to discuss history, or anything else for that matter. I am of the opinion that we already have too many sub-forums unrelated to physics as it is.

Zz.
Gee thanks ZapperZ. (Evo - suddenly feels unnecessary) :grumpy: :wink:

Evo said:
Gee thanks ZapperZ. (Evo - suddenly feels unnecessary) :grumpy: :wink:

Oh dear, what have I done?

Well, since we ALREADY have those forums, Evo, then you are certainly necessary now! :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Oh dear, what have I done?

Well, since we ALREADY have those forums, Evo, then you are certainly necessary now! :)

Zz.

Spoken like a true diplomate :rofl:

marlon

ps : no supermentor can be ever be unnecessary :wink:

ps thanks Zz for the links on DFT...I am going to do my phd on this...well, i need this for my phd to be exact

marlon

Last edited:
IMO, we already have the perfect balance of breadth and depth. PF is not refereed, and we offer free membership to the public at large. That means we're going to have a lot of novices around who are interested in physics, but don't know how to frame a physical question scientifically. Given that state of affairs, we are bound to get questions such as:

"How sure are we of scientific theories?"
"What's a tensor?"
"Of what use is quantum theory to the real world?"
"What do you think of cutting the funding for the SSC?"
"Do any of you live near me?"
"How do you solve this problem?"
"I like science, and I like building things. Should I major in physics or engineering?"
"What's the chemical formula for table salt?"
"What constellations are visible this time of year?"
"What about this guy John Titor's claims?"
"How do you make a Forum like this?"
etc.

None of these belong in the Physics section, but we don't want to delete them or discourage this type of thing. So, we have other sections open so that the Physics section is not cluttered. The questions above fit neatly into (respectively) philosophy, math, engineering, politics, general discussion, homework help, academic and career guidance, other sciences, astronomy, scepticism, and technology.

Having said all that, I can't think of any questions that are connected to physics or this website that would warrant a History forum. Sure historical issues related to physics come up (say, the Bohr model), but we are happy to host those types of things in the regular Physics section.

Last edited:
Tom Mattson said:
The questions above fit neatly into (respectively) philosophy, math, engineering, politics, general discussion, homework help, academic and career guidance, other sciences, astronomy, scepticism, and technology.

I have to defend the Engineering forums, and do not allow anyone to doubt if the questions posted there doesn't fit with the name of this web. Physics wouldn't be alive without engineering, and anyone who goes for a walk into engineering sections would realize that the questions there are sometimes more physically advanced that those posted in Physics sections.

BTW: I have seen here two new PF supermentors crown. Congratulations!

Integral said:

Greg has a cooking forum, tech forum, a law forum up on that link. And an art forum. I say, Greg where's the history forum? :biggrin:

I want a bicycle repair forum.

You know guys, it aint that hard to build a forum.

The more academic topics this forum covers, the more knowledge we gain. Plus, membership will also increase. I disagree with those that say we already have too many sections; I would like to see even more sections, but only so long as they are related to academia.

Here's a link for your history forum...

http://p208.ezboard.com/btalkinghistory [Broken]

I'd consider a history forum in general to be non-related to Greg's goal of homework help for science. Do remember, this forum was Greg's vision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scientific Method said:
The more academic topics this forum covers, the more knowledge we gain. Plus, membership will also increase. I disagree with those that say we already have too many sections; I would like to see even more sections, but only so long as they are related to academia.

I disagree. A vegetarian certainly would not instintively pick a steak house as a logical choice for dinner. So why would someone pick a forum with the name "Physics Forums" to discuss business schools, for example? It's not as if there's a lack of suitable forums to discuss such a thing, so PF is not denying anybody anything by not having those here.

And what would be accomplished by having even more sections on here? So far, all the arguments that I've read is that we should have it because we can. No one has given any beneficial or even a rational reason why such a thing could and have produced anything significant. If quantity alone can actually produce anything of any benefit, the Usenet would have produced a ton of stuff of worthy by now - it hasn't!

We should just stick to a few things, and do those as well as we can.

Zz.

I want the whole world to unite under Physics Forums; this forum will be their new God.

:rofl: Do you think they'll change the Pledge of Allegiance?

1. What is the purpose of having a History Section?

The purpose of a History Section is to provide a comprehensive understanding of past events and their impact on current situations. It allows for the study and analysis of historical events, people, and societies in order to gain insight and knowledge.

2. What kind of information is typically included in a History Section?

A History Section can include a variety of information such as important dates, significant events, key figures, cultural and societal changes, political developments, and economic factors. It can also include historical documents, artifacts, and images to provide a visual representation of the past.

3. How is the accuracy of information in a History Section ensured?

The accuracy of information in a History Section is ensured through rigorous research and fact-checking. Historians use credible sources such as primary documents, eyewitness accounts, and peer-reviewed articles to verify the information presented. They also analyze multiple perspectives and interpretations to provide a well-rounded and accurate understanding of the past.

4. Can a History Section only focus on a specific time period or region?

No, a History Section can cover a wide range of time periods and regions. It can focus on a specific event or era, such as the Industrial Revolution or World War II, or it can cover a broader scope, such as the history of a particular country or civilization. The content of a History Section is determined by the purpose and focus of the section.

5. How can a History Section be beneficial for society?

A History Section can be beneficial for society in many ways. It can help individuals understand the context of current events and how they have been shaped by the past. It can also promote critical thinking skills and empathy by providing different perspectives and interpretations of historical events. Additionally, it can preserve and honor the stories and experiences of past generations, allowing for a deeper understanding of our shared human history.