How absurd are these numbers really?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a person being accelerated at a high speed and the potential effects on their body and surroundings. The numbers mentioned are calculated to be extremely high and likely fatal, with the exception of gravity. The conversation also touches on the idea of using absurd numbers for learning purposes and shares examples of high G-forces that have been survived in real life. It is unclear if this conversation is related to a book plot.
Gabriel Ulisses
I stumbled upon these numbers on my test recently.
It is raelly basic stuff, but i want to know, what would actually happen if such thing happened in the real world.
We basically have a ball made of 20Kg of "person".
And it it accelerates at 1.8*10^5 m/s² for 1/30 of a second reaching 6000 m/s in such a short time.
This is essentialyl an explosion right?
Such high numbers, what would happen to the person herself and the environment around him?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel Ulisses said:
We basically have a ball made of 20Kg of "person".
I have no idea what that means.
And it it accelerates at 18*10^5 m/s² for 1/30 of a second reaching 6000 m/s in such a short time.
This is essentialyl an explosion right?
It sounds more like a cannon.
[Note: I think there is a missing decimal point in the acceleration]
Such high numbers, what would happen to the person herself and the environment around him?
What person? What environment?

Divide the acceleration by 9.81 to convert it to "g". Then Google the maximum g ever survived. As I recall a motor racing driver holds the record.

russ_watters said:
I have no idea what that means.

It sounds more like a cannon.
[Note: I think there is a missing decimal point in the acceleration]

What person? What environment?
It was just to state that it would someone, and not something, the effects such conditions would have on the human body.
Basically i asked: "What would happen to someone if he were to accelerate like this in the most mundane of situations? Would his skin melt due to friction and air resistance? His limbs detache from his body due to inertia? or would there be no person left after all?
And i did miss the decimal at 18, fixed it now, thanks :)

I don't think that realistic numbers are necessary to do an exercise. It might even be helpful to calculate something absurd to get students used to think about results. When tutoring schoolkids, they often either forgot units or added two different ones. In these cases I often used "trees" as a unit, to illustrate that 5 trees can be doubled or added to other trees, but one cannot add trees and bushes. So being absurd doesn't automatically disqualify a problem.

Likes russ_watters
Gabriel Ulisses said:
It was just to state that it would someone, and not something, the effects such conditions would have on the human body.
Basically i asked: "What would happen to someone if he were to accelerate like this in the most mundane of situations?
It would depend on how the acceleration is applied. Any method I can think of except gravity would be fatal.

CWatters said:
Divide the acceleration by 9.81 to convert it to "g". Then Google the maximum g ever survived. As I recall a motor racing driver holds the record.
So the op asks if 1,800,000m/s/s is survivable... That's about 180,000g. A racing driver called David Purley just about survived a150g crash and that's thought to be the word record. Rocket sled experiments in the 1960s stopped at about 60g.

Is this all to do with the plot of a book?

1. How are absurd numbers defined in science?

Absurd numbers in science are numbers that are either extremely large or extremely small, making them difficult to comprehend or visualize. These numbers often exceed the limits of our understanding and can be challenging to work with in calculations or experiments.

2. What is an example of an absurd number in science?

One example of an absurd number in science is the estimated number of atoms in the observable universe, which is around 1080. This number is so large that it is nearly impossible to conceptualize, as there are only around 1050 grains of sand on Earth.

3. How are absurd numbers used in scientific research?

Absurd numbers are often used in scientific research to represent quantities that are beyond our everyday experiences. These numbers can help us understand the vastness of the universe or the minuteness of subatomic particles. They are also used in calculations and equations to accurately represent the scale of a phenomenon.

4. Can absurd numbers be proven or disproven?

No, absurd numbers cannot be proven or disproven. They are often theoretical or estimated values that are used to represent quantities that are beyond our current understanding. As our knowledge and technology advance, these numbers may change, but they cannot be definitively proven or disproven.

5. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of absurd numbers?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to ensure the accuracy of absurd numbers. This can include peer review, multiple experiments and calculations, and using advanced technology and measurement tools. Additionally, scientists often use a range or uncertainty when reporting absurd numbers to account for potential errors or variations in data.