How and Why Peltier Tiles work?

In summary, Peltier Tiles work by generating electricity from temperature differences, with larger differences resulting in greater power output. The speaker plans to use them in everyday objects like chairs and desks for a science contest. They wonder if the electricity generated is enough to power a LED bulb or charge a phone. A link is provided for an example of Peltier Tiles powering a bulb. Further research is recommended for understanding how and why it works. An article about a 15-year-old developing a flashlight powered by body heat is suggested for more information on the effectiveness of Peltier Tiles.
ZiHao
The thing I knew about Peltier Tiles is that when there is a temperature difference, it generates electricity, and the bigger the tempreature difference, the greater the power you will get. But why it works?
Basically, I have partnered with three other friends to participate in a science contest and I am planning to apply the Peltier Tiles to things you use everyday, chair, desk,for instance. Second question,is the electricity generated enough to power a LED bulb. or to charge a phone. https://www.lazada.com.my/products/1pc-white-60w-12v-heatsink-thermoelectric-cooler-peltier-cooling-plate-i104452780-s105660253.html?spm=a2o4k.searchlist.list.6.35007323JsVGdk&search=1
Attached a url with an example of peltier tile use to power the bulb, for example.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes berkeman

1. How do Peltier tiles work?

Peltier tiles work by utilizing the Peltier effect, which is a thermoelectric phenomenon where a temperature difference across two dissimilar materials creates an electric current. In Peltier tiles, this effect is achieved by using two different types of semiconductors, typically bismuth telluride and antimony telluride, connected by metal junctions. When an electric current is passed through the tiles, one side becomes hot and the other side becomes cold.

2. Why do Peltier tiles get hot and cold?

Peltier tiles get hot and cold because of the Peltier effect. When an electric current is passed through the tiles, one side absorbs heat from its surroundings and becomes cold, while the other side dissipates heat and becomes hot. This is due to the flow of electrons between the two materials, creating a temperature difference.

3. What is the purpose of Peltier tiles?

The purpose of Peltier tiles is to provide a compact and efficient method of cooling or heating small spaces or objects. They are commonly used in portable refrigerators, beverage coolers, and even CPU coolers for computers. They can also be used for precise temperature control in scientific and medical equipment.

4. How efficient are Peltier tiles?

The efficiency of Peltier tiles depends on various factors, such as the materials used, the temperature difference across the tiles, and the amount of current passed through them. Generally, Peltier tiles have an efficiency of 5-10%, meaning that for every 100 watts of electrical energy, they can cool or heat up to 10 watts.

5. Can Peltier tiles be used for renewable energy production?

Peltier tiles can be used for renewable energy production in certain applications, such as thermoelectric generators. In these systems, the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the tiles is created by natural heat sources, such as solar energy or waste heat from industrial processes. However, due to their lower efficiency compared to other energy production methods, Peltier tiles are not commonly used for large-scale renewable energy production.