Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How are stellar EM radiation formed?

1. Jun 15, 2012 #1
    How are stellar EM radiation formed??

I've read this in many books and sites... Any object above 0 K will emit EM radiation of all wavelengths... Now this is confusing me a lot... I mean, how for example a sun emit wavelength s of a Radio and it is the same sun which emits ultra violet and gamme rays.. How is it possible to emit all kind of wavelengths. Being particular, when we look at a star by prism method, how can we detect an O star which has it's peak wavelength beyond visible light i guess... Finally, why is a peak wavelength formed. Thanks in advance to whoever gives me a good reply!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2012 #2

krd

Re: How are stellar EM radiation formed??

This was confusing me too. But I think I found the answer.

Atoms will emit photons at discrete wavelengths - so you can see characteristic lines for gases like hydrogen etc.

Then there is black body radiation - which is a continuous spectra.

And how this happens. When a body is hot, the atoms jiggle against each other, which causes their electro-magnetic fields to interact. This effectively creates lots of phonons - since atoms movements are largely random you get a broad band of wavelengths - a continuous spectra. Some atoms are moving very fast and some are moving very slowly - two fast atoms hit each other head on they'll slow down to a crawl, and then you'll get a radio wave phonon..........and the effect is you can get light with really long wavelengths.

The phonons become photons when they leave the body and travel into empty space.

When a body gets hotter - the intensity of the continuous spectra increases - and because the atoms are moving faster, the peak frequency of the spectra gets higher. And you can tell the temperature of a body by knowing the peak frequency of the black body radiation it's emitting.

There's some lovely formulas too, than govern what you see in the spectra.........which I can't remember.........If anyone else does?

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    Re: How are stellar EM radiation formed??

Also, spiraling relativistic electrons in magnetic fields near astronomical objects (e.g., Crab nebula) emit a continuous wavelength EM spectrum called synchrotron radiation. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_Nebula

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook