How are the determinants of A and B related? (Do not compute det(A))

• Thread starter Incognitopad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinants
In summary: So, adding columns/rows into others doesn't change the determinant, but multiplying a row/column multiplies the determinant by the same factor.
Incognitopad

Homework Statement

Consider the matrices

A =
a1 a2 a3
b1 b2 b3
c1 c2 c3
and

B =
3a1 4a2+5a1 6a3
3b1 4b2+5b1 6b3
3c1 4c2+5c1 6c3

How are the determinants of A and B related? DO NOT COMPUTE det(A)!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost... I tried doing Kramer rule for det(B) but don't understand how I'm supposed to do this. I mean, I can see that the 2nd column of B is equal to 5 times the first plus 4 times the second columns of A, that the 1st column of B is 3 times the first column of A and that the 3rd column of B is 6 times the third column of A. But what am I meant to draw from this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Incognitopad said:
I mean, I can see that the 2nd column of B is equal to 5 times the first plus 4 times the second columns of A, that the 1st column of B is 3 times the first column of A and that the 3rd column of B is 6 times the third column of A. But what am I meant to draw from this?
Almost there. Try to express this in matrix form. In other words, see if you can find a matrix C such that either C*A=B or A*C=B.

What's the determinant of a product of two matrices?

Incognitopad said:

Homework Statement

Consider the matrices

A =
a1 a2 a3
b1 b2 b3
c1 c2 c3
and

B =
3a1 4a2+5a1 6a3
3b1 4b2+5b1 6b3
3c1 4c2+5c1 6c3

How are the determinants of A and B related? DO NOT COMPUTE det(A)!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost... I tried doing Kramer rule for det(B) but don't understand how I'm supposed to do this. I mean, I can see that the 2nd column of B is equal to 5 times the first plus 4 times the second columns of A, that the 1st column of B is 3 times the first column of A and that the 3rd column of B is 6 times the third column of A. But what am I meant to draw from this?

You are supposed to use standard results about determinants obtained by adding multiples of row (or columns) to other rows (or columns). I will let you find these, because the exercise of searching will help you to remember them.

oh, is it that simple?

3*5*6det(A)=det(B)?

Incognitopad said:
oh, is it that simple?

3*5*6det(A)=det(B)?

Almost. Where does the factor '5' come from?

sorry. typo. i meant to write a 4. adding columns/rows into others don't change the determinant, but multiplying a row/column multiplies the determinant by the same factor.

3*4*6

72det(A)=det(B)

Incognitopad said:
sorry. typo. i meant to write a 4. adding columns/rows into others don't change the determinant, but multiplying a row/column multiplies the determinant by the same factor.

3*4*6

72det(A)=det(B)

Right!

1. What are the determinants of A and B?

The determinants of A and B are numerical values that can be calculated from the elements of the matrices. For a square matrix, the determinant is a scalar value that represents the volume scaling factor of the linear transformation described by the matrix.

2. How are the determinants of A and B related?

The determinants of A and B are related through the properties of matrix multiplication. Specifically, the determinant of the product of two matrices is equal to the product of their individual determinants. This means that det(AB) = det(A) * det(B).

3. What does the determinant of a matrix tell us?

The determinant of a matrix provides important information about the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular. It also gives the scaling factor for the linear transformation described by the matrix, which can be used to solve systems of linear equations and calculate volumes of parallelepipeds.

4. Can the determinants of A and B be equal even if A and B are different matrices?

Yes, it is possible for the determinants of two different matrices to be equal. This can happen if the matrices have the same elements in a different order or if they are scalar multiples of each other. However, in most cases, the determinants of different matrices will be different values.

5. Are there any other ways in which the determinants of A and B are related?

Yes, the determinants of A and B are also related to the eigenvalues of the matrices. The determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues, and the sum of the eigenvalues is equal to the trace of the matrix. Additionally, the determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of the singular values of the matrix.