1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How are the determinants of A and B related? (Do not compute det(A))

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the matrices

A =
    a1 a2 a3
    b1 b2 b3
    c1 c2 c3
    and

B =
    3a1 4a2+5a1 6a3
    3b1 4b2+5b1 6b3
    3c1 4c2+5c1 6c3

How are the determinants of A and B related? DO NOT COMPUTE det(A)!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm completely lost... I tried doing Kramer rule for det(B) but don't understand how I'm supposed to do this. I mean, I can see that the 2nd column of B is equal to 5 times the first plus 4 times the second columns of A, that the 1st column of B is 3 times the first column of A and that the 3rd column of B is 6 times the third column of A. But what am I meant to draw from this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I defer to D H

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. Dec 3, 2012 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Almost there. Try to express this in matrix form. In other words, see if you can find a matrix C such that either C*A=B or A*C=B.

What's the determinant of a product of two matrices?

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are supposed to use standard results about determinants obtained by adding multiples of row (or columns) to other rows (or columns). I will let you find these, because the exercise of searching will help you to remember them.

6. Dec 3, 2012 #5
    oh, is it that simple?

3*5*6det(A)=det(B)?

7. Dec 3, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Almost. Where does the factor '5' come from?

8. Dec 3, 2012 #7
    sorry. typo. i meant to write a 4. adding columns/rows into others dont change the determinant, but multiplying a row/column multiplies the determinant by the same factor.

3*4*6

72det(A)=det(B)

9. Dec 3, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook