Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How do I simplify 4x4 det before solving? I am doing somethingwrong

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

solve the det
    3 1 1 0
    -4 5 0 -1
    0 7 2 8
    2 -1 0 3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to solve it and get a different answer each time so I am doing something I shouldn't obviously.

Ok I am adding rows to other rows
    (ex 2*row1 +row2)
    Same I do for columns.

When I expend the matrix I pay attention to the + and -
    So what is wrong :S

This is what I did (I didn't choose the shortest way because I wanted to make sure I am solving it right but hence something is off :S)

I did 2*R4+r2,R3-2*R1
    I opened the det by a3,1
    And got to this by this point:
    1*
    -4 5 -1​
    -6 5 8​
    0 3 5 ​
    then I did
    R1-R2,3*R1+R2
    then opened it by a2,1
    I got the det:
    6*
    5 -19​
    3 5​
    Which is 492 (should b 82)
    Now in all the cases I tried I reached 82 before multiplying the number outside the 2x2 det (6 in this case)

Well it is kinda hard showing the steps of the det though it is a simple one but mainly is there something wrong with the steps I take?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Okay, that's a good start. It gets a 0 in the first column, second row.

But I don't understand why you did that? I thought you were trying to get 0s in the first column. This gives you
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 0 & 5 \\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant before. Because you already have two 0s in the third column, if you subtract 2 times the first row from the third row, Replacing R3 with R3- 2R1, you get
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\-4 & 5 & 0 & -1\\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3 \end{array}\right|[/tex]
    Expanding on the third column, you get
    [tex]1\left|\begin{array}{ccc}4 & 5 & -1 \\ 6 & 5 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 3\end{array}\right|[/tex]
    Although I still don't see how you got that third row.

4. Nov 23, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Okay, that's a good start. It gets a 0 in the first column, second row.

But I don't understand why you did that? I thought you were trying to get 0s in the first column. This gives you
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 0 & 5 \\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant before. Because you already have two 0s in the third column, if you subtract 2 times the first row from the third row, Replacing R3 with R3- 2R1, you get
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\-4 & 5 & 0 & -1\\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3 \end{array}\right|[/tex]
    Expanding on the third column, you get
    [tex]1\left|\begin{array}{ccc}4 & 5 & -1 \\ 6 & 5 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 3\end{array}\right|[/tex]
    Although I still don't see how you got that third row.

5. Nov 23, 2012 #4
    Not everything I did had to have a meaning I was playing around with it.
    I figured out what I was doing wrong though...I treated it as matrix .
    When I write 2R2+R3
    I actually mean R2=2R2+R3
    I didn't know I can't do that with dets or I change its value:S

6. Nov 24, 2012 #5
    Row operations of course do change the value of the determinant.
    Why don't you try expansion by minors to solve it? Might be a bit tedious, but would work after all.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook