1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I simplify 4x4 det before solving? I am doing somethingwrong

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

solve the det
    3 1 1 0
    -4 5 0 -1
    0 7 2 8
    2 -1 0 3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to solve it and get a different answer each time so I am doing something I shouldn't obviously.

Ok I am adding rows to other rows
    (ex 2*row1 +row2)
    Same I do for columns.

When I expend the matrix I pay attention to the + and -
    So what is wrong :S

This is what I did (I didn't choose the shortest way because I wanted to make sure I am solving it right but hence something is off :S)

I did 2*R4+r2,R3-2*R1
    I opened the det by a3,1
    And got to this by this point:
    1*
    -4 5 -1​
    -6 5 8​
    0 3 5 ​
    then I did
    R1-R2,3*R1+R2
    then opened it by a2,1
    I got the det:
    6*
    5 -19​
    3 5​
    Which is 492 (should b 82)
    Now in all the cases I tried I reached 82 before multiplying the number outside the 2x2 det (6 in this case)

Well it is kinda hard showing the steps of the det though it is a simple one but mainly is there something wrong with the steps I take?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, that's a good start. It gets a 0 in the first column, second row.

But I don't understand why you did that? I thought you were trying to get 0s in the first column. This gives you
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 0 & 5 \\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant before. Because you already have two 0s in the third column, if you subtract 2 times the first row from the third row, Replacing R3 with R3- 2R1, you get
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\-4 & 5 & 0 & -1\\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3 \end{array}\right|[/tex]
    Expanding on the third column, you get
    [tex]1\left|\begin{array}{ccc}4 & 5 & -1 \\ 6 & 5 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 3\end{array}\right|[/tex]
    Although I still don't see how you got that third row.

4. Nov 23, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, that's a good start. It gets a 0 in the first column, second row.

But I don't understand why you did that? I thought you were trying to get 0s in the first column. This gives you
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 0 & 5 \\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant before. Because you already have two 0s in the third column, if you subtract 2 times the first row from the third row, Replacing R3 with R3- 2R1, you get
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\-4 & 5 & 0 & -1\\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3 \end{array}\right|[/tex]
    Expanding on the third column, you get
    [tex]1\left|\begin{array}{ccc}4 & 5 & -1 \\ 6 & 5 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 3\end{array}\right|[/tex]
    Although I still don't see how you got that third row.

5. Nov 23, 2012 #4
    Not everything I did had to have a meaning I was playing around with it.
    I figured out what I was doing wrong though...I treated it as matrix .
    When I write 2R2+R3
    I actually mean R2=2R2+R3
    I didn't know I can't do that with dets or I change its value:S

6. Nov 24, 2012 #5
    Row operations of course do change the value of the determinant.
    Why don't you try expansion by minors to solve it? Might be a bit tedious, but would work after all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook