Kronecker Delta and Gradient Operator

In summary, the Kronecker Delta symbol, denoted by Δ, is a mathematical notation used to represent the discrete equality of two variables. It is significant in vector calculus as it can represent the identity matrix and is used in calculating the gradient of a scalar function. The Kronecker Delta is related to the gradient operator, which represents the rate of change of a scalar function. It differs from the Dirac Delta function, which is a continuous function used in physics and engineering. In solving systems of linear equations, the Kronecker Delta is useful in finding the inverse of a matrix and simplifying expressions and calculations.
maxhersch
I am looking at an explanation of the gradient operator acting on a scalar function ## \phi ##. This is what is written:
H5da2LH.png

In the steps 1.112 and 1.113 it is written that ## \frac {\partial x'_k} {\partial x'_i} ## is equivalent to the Kronecker delta. It makes sense to me that if i=k, then the expression is equal to 1 but why would it be 0 if they are not equal? Perhaps I'm not looking at it the right way but any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just think about Cartesian coordinates. What is ## \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} ## equal to?

What is the Kronecker Delta symbol and what does it represent?

The Kronecker Delta symbol, denoted by Δ, is a mathematical notation used to represent the discrete equality of two variables. It takes on the value of 1 if the two variables are equal, and 0 if they are not equal.

What is the significance of the Kronecker Delta in vector calculus?

In vector calculus, the Kronecker Delta is often used to represent the identity matrix, which has a diagonal of 1s and all other entries as 0s. It is also used to define the dot product of two vectors, which is essential in calculating the gradient of a scalar function.

What is the gradient operator and how is it related to the Kronecker Delta?

The gradient operator, denoted by ∇, is a vector operator that represents the rate of change of a scalar function. It is often used in vector calculus to calculate the direction and magnitude of the steepest slope of a function. The Kronecker Delta is related to the gradient operator in that it is used in the formula for the dot product of two vectors, which is used to calculate the gradient.

What is the difference between the Kronecker Delta and the Dirac Delta function?

The Kronecker Delta is a discrete function that takes on the value of 1 if two variables are equal, and 0 if they are not equal. On the other hand, the Dirac Delta function is a continuous function that is zero for all values except at one point, where it is infinity. The Dirac Delta function is often used in physics and engineering to represent point charges or impulses.

How is the Kronecker Delta used in solving systems of linear equations?

In solving systems of linear equations, the Kronecker Delta is used to represent the identity matrix, which is essential in finding the inverse of a matrix. It is also used to simplify expressions and calculations involving matrices and determinants.