1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How bad does a community college Engineer Technician diploma look to empoyers?

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    How bad does a community college "Engineer Technician" diploma look to empoyers?

I'm going for a 3-year "Fake" engineer program (Technology) labeled as an "Advanced Diploma" - whatever that means, and I was just wondering if I'll be kind of screwed over trying to land a job since employers would rather look for someone who has a Bachelors.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    Re: How bad does a community college "Engineer Technician" diploma look to empoyers?

It depends upon what you want your diploma for. Do you want to be a technician or an engineer? Why do you call it a "Fake" engineer program? Why not call it what it is, an engineering technician program? There also are 3 year (@ 12 months per year = 4 academic years) engineering technician programs that give you a BSET or BEET instead of a diploma.

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: How bad does a community college "Engineer Technician" diploma look to empoyers?

You will not be able to get an engineering job with a tech degree. However since they are usually paid on an hourly basis, due to shift differentials and overtime, techs frequently make more then the salaried engineers you would be working with.

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4

No, I'm not expecting to do engineering work. So far, what I've gathered is that I'll be working for an engineer "making their plans work", like repairing robot arms or something, or re-configuring things. I was just thinking that if an employer was browsing through the resumes, that they will probably get someone with a Bachelors in Engineering to do a technician's or technologist's work and completely ignore me.

Also I'm a bit confused about this diploma. The 2 years is labeled "Electro-Mechanical Engineering technician" and the 3-years is labeled "Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology". But you see, isn't there a bachelors in "Engineering Technology" available at universities which takes 4 years to complete as opposed to 3?

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5

There's nothing wrong with that kind of work. It provides valuable assistance to engineers. I do think you'd be ahead with a BSET or BEET instead of a diploma. Unfortunately I think some engineers and managers do have the idea that it is a "fake" engineering degree, perhaps because some engineering technicians have tried to promote themselves as engineers. I've worked with some very fine engineering techs.

Most places where I've worked the engineers were expected to be their own technicians and build and test their own circuits. One place however had a team of technicians that I could use to build and test circuits. It was amazing how much more I was able to accomplish when all I had to worry about was what tests to perform and doing the statistical analysis on the results.

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6

I'll have to transfer to a university to get a bachelors then. Hopefully, I won't have to start from first year, if I do then forget about it. I'll be too much of a burden to my parents.

lol this is what happens if you were an ignorant teenager.

8. Mar 27, 2009 #7

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why would an employer looking for an engineering technician/technologist pass over someone qualified for the position? If someone with an engineering bachelors is applying for a technololgy position they are likely overqualified.

9. Mar 29, 2009 #8

I did a quick half-*** search on google about which colleges or universities in my area offer a Bachelors in Eng. Technology and it seems "Electromechanical" or Robotics Eng. Technology are rarely offered.

I'm kind of worried because on BLS.gov the job growth for this job is 3% (but maybe it's because there are only like about 1/5th of Robotic technicians compared to the other popular Eng. technology disciplines?? I don't know...). I will probably switch over to Electronics or Mechanical Eng. Tech after my first year unless I manage to find schools that offer a Bachelors of Technology in robotics.

I also heard (from this forum) about someone mentioning Mechanical Engineering is starting to become obsolete, can anyone elaborate on that?

10. Mar 30, 2009 #9

Yes, that's probably true. You aren't going to find academic programs in every field. What you really should be looking for is a background that can easily be applied to your field and a personal academic history that shows you're up to the job.

From what little I know of mechanical engineering I know that it's far from becoming obsolete.

11. Apr 8, 2009 #10

Hmm I made a kinda big choice. I'm going to decline my offer and go to an adult education center to get my 4U courses. It'll take another 8 or so months I think to get all the 6 4U courses required by the university.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook