How big does a magnet need to be to move X amount of KGs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Will Stock
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

I'm working on a little side project to build something close to a Mag-lev system. I've researched loads around the magnets and have the info' on what conditions I need, current, Field strength, etc. But I'm having issues in finding how that relates to the movement of an external object. I was ideally looking for an equation that combines Magnet-motor force into something like F = MA. I'm really struggling on this so if anyone can shed some light on it, that would really be amazing.

Best regards~
W.S
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
since you already know how to calculate the force due to a magnet on a load, then you plug that into the F side of F=ma along with the other forces.
Note: it take zero force to move an object - force is what changes the motion.