How big is the path of an IR emitter

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MartinJH
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ir Path
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
MartinJH
Messages
72
Reaction score
2
This is a very silly question but anyway.

When using a remote for a TV or digital channel receiver, how big is the path/signal emitted from the remote when a button is pushed.
Will it come from a point, thee emitter, and form a cone shape until its picked up by the receiver.

its a dull question, I know. :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at it through your mobile phone camera, you'll see it flashing. (...Looking...) Hmm, I'd say it's more like few 10's of degrees. Also IR is reflected well by the walls and furniture, often this reflected light is sufficient to trigger the receiver.
 
Andy Resnick said:
From what I found, most IR LEDs emit into a divergence angle of a few degrees.

Thank you.

Delta Kilo said:
If you look at it through your mobile phone camera, you'll see it flashing. (...Looking...) Hmm, I'd say it's more like few 10's of degrees. Also IR is reflected well by the walls and furniture, often this reflected light is sufficient to trigger the receiver.

I always use that method when in bed or not in direct path to the TV :) lol.