Why combine the JWST data physically instead of digitally?

• B
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    jwst
In summary: They are more expensive and time-consuming, but the end result is often more realistic and believable. In summary, combining images from JWST's mirror segments allows for higher resolution and signal-to-noise ratio compared to stacking separate exposures. This is because the imaging sensor only records intensity, not phase information, making it impossible to achieve the same level of detail through digital combining. Additionally, physically optimizing the images at the start is more effective than trying to do so digitally downstream. However, this method can be costly and may not always be practical.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Why align them physically? Why not softwarily as needed?
When I'm Photoshopping or film editing or 3D modeling, , I wait until the last possible moment to combine anything. Once combined, the individual data would be lost.

Why bother physically combining the images from JWSTs segments? Why not receive the data as 18 channels, store them separately and stack them digitally at our leisure in the air conditioned comfort of our offices? Then we can pick and choose - and even replace - our stacking algorithms.

It seems to me that it's the equivalent of flattening all my .PSDs into GIFs before saving. Or throwing away my .BLEND files and only keeping the exported .STLs.

I can see an 18-fold reduction in bandwidth, but otherwise...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The segments operate together as a single larger mirror to create a single image. For starters, this increases resolution because a larger mirrors allows for a smaller diffraction pattern (airy disk) at the image plane which generates a higher quality image. It also increases SNR of the images compared to simply stacking 18 separate exposures, as the camera sensor itself adds noise to each image. With a single exposure you only have a single round of noise generation, not 18.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, Oldman too, berkeman and 1 other person
Because the imaging sensor only records intensity, not phase information. That means that you cannot post-combine the eighteen images with the same level of detail you get from optically combining them (you can only add ##|A(x,y)|^2##, not ##A(x,y)\sin(\phi(x,y))##). As Drakkith says, you effectively get eighteen small telescopes instead of one big one.

In radio frequency our electronics are fast enough to record phase, so we can combine telescope images from separate telescopes. That's what Very Long Baseline Interferometry is.

• Informative
Likes collinsmark, Oldman too, DaveE and 2 others
I don't doubt you, I just don't grok it.

Surely:
  • Anything that can be optimised physically at the start can be better optimized digitally downstream.
  • Noise in 18 separate images is the way to know what's noise and what isn't. That's why we stack separate images in astrophotog.
No?

Ibix said:
Because the imaging sensor only records intensity, not phase information. That means that you cannot post-combine the eighteen images with the same level of detail you get from optically combining them...
Ah! The phase.

But why can't you sync the signals like we do with Very Lon...
Ibix said:
In radio frequency our electronics are fast enough to record phase, so we can combine telescope images from separate telescopes.
Ah! Because radio waves have way low freqs. Got it!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Oldman too, BillTre and Ibix
DaveC426913 said:
Anything that can be optimised physically at the start can be better optimized digitally downstream.
Absolutely not. In fact the reverse is true. Anything you can optimize physically is better than digitally. Unless it costs too much. Hence why we don't have giant radio antennas that are kilometers across. They'd be better than moving smaller telescopes during aperture synthesis, but they are far, far too large to be practical.
DaveC426913 said:
Noise in 18 separate images is the way to know what's noise and what isn't. That's why we stack separate images in astrophotog.
Unfortunately stacking doesn't solve the noise issue. Your SNR will increase roughly proportional to the square root of the number of images stacked. So with 18 images your SNR will be about 4x better than the single images. But a single image with 18x the light has an SNR that's only affected by one round of sensor noise and isn't subject to the square root rule (in regards to sensor noise only). If there were no other sources of noise in the image then it would be up to 18x better in SNR than a single exposure from an individual mirror segment. In practice the gains aren't as great because of other noise sources of course.

I hope all that makes sense. I'm very tired and about to go to bed. o0)

Likes Oldman too, DaveE, BillTre and 2 others
Drakkith said:
Absolutely not. In fact the reverse is true. Anything you can optimize physically is better than digitally. Unless it costs too much.
This is why in the movies, physical effects (like Ridley Scott often uses) often look better than the computer generated effects.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too

1. Why is it necessary to physically combine the data from the JWST instead of digitally?

Physically combining the data allows for a more accurate and precise measurement of the light from the objects being observed. This is because the light from the objects goes through various optical elements and detectors before being recorded, and these elements can introduce errors and distortions in the data. By combining the data physically, these errors can be minimized and a more reliable measurement can be obtained.

2. Can the data from the JWST be combined digitally instead?

Yes, the data from the JWST can be combined digitally using advanced algorithms and software. However, this method may not be as accurate and precise as physically combining the data. Additionally, it may require more computational resources and time to process the large amount of data collected by the JWST.

3. What are the benefits of physically combining the data from the JWST?

Physically combining the data allows for a more precise and reliable measurement of the light from the objects being observed. It also helps to reduce errors and distortions introduced by the optical elements and detectors, resulting in a more accurate representation of the observed objects. Additionally, physically combining the data can also help to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, allowing for a better understanding of the faint and distant objects being observed.

4. Are there any drawbacks to physically combining the data from the JWST?

One potential drawback of physically combining the data is the possibility of introducing human errors during the process. This can be mitigated by using automated methods and cross-checking the results with multiple data sets. Additionally, physically combining the data may also require more time and resources compared to digital methods.

5. How does physically combining the data from the JWST improve our understanding of the universe?

By physically combining the data, we can obtain a more accurate and precise measurement of the light from the objects being observed. This allows us to study the properties and characteristics of these objects in more detail, providing insights into the formation and evolution of the universe. Additionally, physically combining the data can also help to reveal new and unexpected phenomena that may not be apparent in individual data sets.