Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How big of a field is Differential Forms?

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    I have been reading a lot about Differential Forms lately because its so sexy. I have a pretty good grasp of how wedge product, hodge star, and differential operator "d" work, and their application to physics (it took me some time to see how d*F=J). I want to continue reading about it because I'm sure there more to it than a 30 page article and a wikipedia page, but I don't quite see where the more advanced materials are.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

3.7 million hits in Google Scholar should be more material than you can ever read.

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3
    It's not really a "field". There's a book called A Geometrical Approach to Differential Forms, another book by Harley Flanders, and lots of books cover that material under the heading of differential geometry or other subjects. V.I. Arnold's Mathematical Methods of classical mechanics gives one of the best descriptions I have seen.

5. Feb 2, 2015 #4
  6. Feb 2, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would say that "differential forms" is a subfield of "differential geometry". If you think "differential forms" is sexy, take a look at "differential geometry"!

7. Feb 5, 2015 #6
    Differential forms is key in understanding and depicting General Relativity

8. Feb 5, 2015 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook