Help with Differential Forms - self wedge product terms

thatboi
I'm completely new to differential forms so I am having trouble following the arguments from the following post: https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...non-trivial-fiber-bundles-chern-simons-theory
Specifically:
1.) In equation (12) of the accepted answer, where did the self wedge product terms go, i.e. ##F_{D} \wedge F_{D}##?
2.) Similarly, in (18), where did terms like ##A_{S_{1}} \wedge dA_{S_{1}}## go?
3.) What is the intuition behind the last statement: " the contributions from the adjacent parts of the different patches' boundaries cancel each other". How do I see this?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wedge is antisymmetric, i.e., ##A \wedge B = -(B \wedge A)##. This implies that ##A \wedge A = -(A \wedge A)=0##.

Hill said:
Wedge is antisymmetric, i.e., ##A \wedge B = -(B \wedge A)##. This implies that ##A \wedge A = -(A \wedge A)=0##.
I thought this only held for A and B that are odd-number forms.

##a\wedge a=0## is part of the definition of a Graßmann algebra and ##d\omega \wedge d\omega =0## for differential forms. Note that exterior (Cartan) derivatives have a sign in ##d(\omega_1\wedge \omega_2).## See Cartan derivative in
https://www.physicsforums.com/insig...#C-–-Exterior-Derivative-or-Cartan-Derivative
\begin{align*}
\int_X F\wedge F&=\int_X (F_D+F_{S^2})\wedge (F_D+F_{S^2})\\
&=\int_X\underbrace{F_D\wedge F_D}_{=0}+ \int_X (F_D\wedge F_{S^2}) +\int_X (F_{S^2}\wedge F_D)+ \int_X \underbrace{F_{S^2}\wedge F_{S^2}}_{=0} \\
&=\left(\int_D F_D\right)\cdot \left(\int_{S^2}F_{S^2}\right) +\left(\int_{S^2}F_{S^2}\right)\cdot\left(\int_D F_D\right)\\
&=2\left(\int_D F_D\right)\cdot \left(\int_{S^2}F_{S^2}\right)
\end{align*}
Hence, the question is why ##\int_{D\times S^2} (F_D\wedge F_{S^2}) =\left(\int_D F_D\right)\cdot \left(\int_{S^2}F_{S^2}\right)## where the LHS seems to be oriented and the RHS is not. I assume that ##F_D\wedge F_{S^2}=F_D \times F_{S^2}## for physical reasons but I don't know enough about the field ##F## and the physical background.

fresh_42 said:
##a\wedge a=0## is part of the definition of a Graßmann algebra and ##d\omega \wedge d\omega =0## for differential forms. Note that exterior (Cartan) derivatives have a sign in ##d(\omega_1\wedge \omega_2).## See Cartan derivative in
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iv/#C-–-Exterior-Derivative-or-Cartan-Derivative
\begin{align*}
\int_X F\wedge F&=\int_X (F_D+F_{S^2})\wedge (F_D+F_{S^2})\\
&=\int_X\underbrace{F_D\wedge F_D}_{=0}+ \int_X (F_D\wedge F_{S^2}) +\int_X (F_{S^2}\wedge F_D)+ \int_X \underbrace{F_{S^2}\wedge F_{S^2}}_{=0} \\
&=\left(\int_D F_D\right)\cdot \left(\int_{S^2}F_{S^2}\right) +\left(\int_{S^2}F_{S^2}\right)\cdot\left(\int_D F_D\right)\\
&=2\left(\int_D F_D\right)\cdot \left(\int_{S^2}F_{S^2}\right)
\end{align*}
Hence, the question is why ##\int_{D\times S^2} (F_D\wedge F_{S^2}) =\left(\int_D F_D\right)\cdot \left(\int_{S^2}F_{S^2}\right)## where the LHS seems to be oriented and the RHS is not. I assume that ##F_D\wedge F_{S^2}=F_D \times F_{S^2}## for physical reasons but I don't know enough about the field ##F## and the physical background.
So were you using the fact that ##d\omega \wedge d\omega =0## above? Does this formula hold for any n-form ##\omega##?

thatboi said:
So were you using the fact that ##d\omega \wedge d\omega =0## above? Does this formula hold for any n-form ##\omega##?
Yes. It is part of the definition of the wedge product.

The Cartan derivative on the other hand is a function of differential forms and can have therefore a different definition that involves signs depending on the rank of the differential forms.

Your question still stands: Why is the integral on the LHS not orientated although the wedge product is? I assume that we have a disc and a separate sphere and the integral over both doesn't distinguish which one is first, i.e. that ##\int_X F_D \wedge F_S^2=\int_{D\times S^2}F_D\times F_{S^2}.##

fresh_42 said:
Yes. It is part of the definition of the wedge product.

The Cartan derivative on the other hand is a function of differential forms and can have therefore a different definition that involves signs depending on the rank of the differential forms.

Your question still stands: Why is the integral on the LHS not orientated although the wedge product is? I assume that we have a disc and a separate sphere and the integral over both doesn't distinguish which one is first, i.e. that ##\int_X F_D \wedge F_S^2=\int_{D\times S^2}F_D\times F_{S^2}.##
Thanks for the replies. I first want to clarify your point on wedge product vs Cartan derivative. I thought the definition of the wedge product was ##\alpha \wedge \beta = (-1)^{pq} \beta \wedge \alpha## for ##p,q## the degrees of ##\alpha,\beta## respectively. Now ##F## is a 2-form, so shouldn't the product commute?

Forget all of the above.

I confused myself. We have ##\omega \wedge \omega =0## for differential forms of odd degrees and especially for the underlying vector space. The exterior product is graded, i.e.
$$
\alpha \wedge \beta = (-1)^{\deg \alpha \deg\beta } \beta \wedge \alpha
$$

This explains ...
\begin{align*}
(F_D +F_{S^2})\wedge (F_D +F_{S^2})&= \underbrace{F_D\wedge F_D}_{=0}+(F_D \wedge F_{S^2})+ (F_{S^2} \wedge F_{D})+\underbrace{F_{S^2}\wedge F_{S^2}}_{=0}\\
&=(F_D \wedge F_{S^2})+(-1)^{2\cdot 2}(F_D \wedge F_{S^2})\\
&=2(F_D \wedge F_{S^2})
\end{align*}
... but it leaves me clueless as of why ##\int_X F_D\wedge F_D = \int_X F_{S^2}\wedge F_{S^2}=0.##

fresh_42 said:
Forget all of the above.

I confused myself. We have ##\omega \wedge \omega =0## for differential forms of odd degrees and especially for the underlying vector space. The exterior product is graded, i.e.
$$
\alpha \wedge \beta = (-1)^{\deg \alpha \deg\beta } \beta \wedge \alpha
$$

This explains ...
\begin{align*}
(F_D +F_{S^2})\wedge (F_D +F_{S^2})&= \underbrace{F_D\wedge F_D}_{=0}+(F_D \wedge F_{S^2})+ (F_{S^2} \wedge F_{D})+\underbrace{F_{S^2}\wedge F_{S^2}}_{=0}\\
&=(F_D \wedge F_{S^2})+(-1)^{2\cdot 2}(F_D \wedge F_{S^2})\\
&=2(F_D \wedge F_{S^2})
\end{align*}
... but it leaves me clueless as of why ##\int_X F_D\wedge F_D = \int_X F_{S^2}\wedge F_{S^2}=0.##
Ah ok, so we have the same question. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that we are integrating over ##X##, which is a direct product ##D \times S^{2}## but ##F_{D} \wedge F_{D}## is only defined on ##D## so I was wondering how such an integral would even work/make sense?

thatboi said:
Ah ok, so we have the same question. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that we are integrating over ##X##, which is a direct product ##D \times S^{2}## but ##F_{D} \wedge F_{D}## is only defined on ##D## so I was wondering how such an integral would even work/make sense?
That's a nice idea. We have
$$
\int_X (F_D\wedge F_{S^2})=\int_{D\times S^2} (F_D\wedge F_{S^2})=\int_D F_D \cdot \int_{S^2} F_{S^2}
$$
By that logic, we would get
$$
\int_X (F_D\wedge F_{D})=\int_{D\times S^2} (F_D\wedge F_{D})=\int_D F_D \cdot\int_{S^2} F_{D}=\int_D F_D \cdot 0=0
$$

fresh_42 said:
That's a nice idea. We have
$$
\int_X (F_D\wedge F_{S^2})=\int_{D\times S^2} (F_D\wedge F_{S^2})=\int_D F_D \cdot \int_{S^2} F_{S^2}
$$
By that logic, we would get
$$
\int_X (F_D\wedge F_{D})=\int_{D\times S^2} (F_D\wedge F_{D})=\int_D F_D \cdot\int_{S^2} F_{D}=\int_D F_D \cdot 0=0
$$
Right, but I'm guessing ##\int_{D \times S^{2}} F_{D} \wedge F_{S^{2}} = \int_{D} F_{D} \cdot \int_{S^{2}}F_{S^{2}}## is not generally a true identity (thus your initial concern)?

If we consider ##F## as a two-form and ##D## and ##S^2## as vector fields instead of geometric objects, i.e. the geometric object endowed with the field strength ##F## then ##0=F(D,D)=:F_D\wedge F_D## but I'm not sure whether this is a correct point of view.

(If you have Google Chrome installed then you can have a look at
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentialform
Chrome allows a translation into English via right-click and the option "Translate to English" which I found easier to read than https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_form.)

Likes thatboi
I just had a very brief look, but it appears to me ##F_D## is a 2-form on ##D##, which is 2-dimensional. Therefore ##F_D\wedge F_D## would be a 4-form, but there are no 4-forms on a two-dimensional manifold. As the tangent space is 2-dimensional, there are not enough independent one-forms to create 4-forms.

Likes thatboi and mathwonk
What @Orodruin said is the correct explanation, but I will expand on that, in case you're still confused about this. It is true that on an ##n##-dimensional manifold the wedge product of 2-form is commutative. However, consider the specific case where a 2-form is a product of 2 basis 1-forms(thus being a basis 2-form).
Then you have:
$$\alpha = b^1 \wedge b^2$$
and so
$$\alpha \wedge \alpha = b^1 \wedge b^2 \wedge b^1 \wedge b^2 = 0$$
just by anticommuting the basis 1-forms twice(##b^1 \wedge b^1 = 0##). So in this specific case the product is zero. A general product of 2-forms is a linear combination of such products of basis forms, and such product indeed isn't zero. But a product of two same basis 2-forms constructed in this way is zero.

In your case you're looking at ##F_D## as a 2-form on a 4-dimensional manifold, however this 2-form is defined on a 2-dimensional submanifold ##D##, and because this submanifold is 2-dimensional, it must be proportional to the basis form ##F_D = f(x)\alpha^1 \wedge \alpha^2##, where ##\alpha^i## are basis forms of this submanifold. From what we mentioned above we have to have ##F_D \wedge F_D = 0##. So what is mentioned in the post above is correct, and follows from the fact that you can't have forms of bigger dimension than 2 defined from basis forms of ##D##. So despite looking at ##F_D## as a 2-form on a 4-dimensional manifold, you still know that this form must be proportional to a precise basis 2-form. Same conclusion goes for ##F_{S^2}##. Hope that clears it up.

Likes thatboi

What is a differential form?

A differential form is a mathematical object in differential geometry that generalizes the concepts of functions, vector fields, and functions on a manifold. Differential forms can be integrated over manifolds and are fundamental in defining integrals over curves, surfaces, and higher-dimensional manifolds. They are crucial in fields like physics, engineering, and more advanced mathematics.

What does the "self wedge product" of a differential form mean?

The "self wedge product" of a differential form refers to the wedge product of a differential form with itself. The wedge product is a binary operation on differential forms that results in a new differential form. For any differential form \( \omega \), the self wedge product \( \omega \wedge \omega \) often simplifies to zero, especially if \( \omega \) is of odd degree due to the antisymmetric properties of the wedge product.

Why is the self wedge product of an odd degree form always zero?

The wedge product is antisymmetric, meaning that when swapping two identical forms of odd degree, the sign of the product changes. Therefore, for an odd degree form \( \omega \), the self wedge product \( \omega \wedge \omega \) results in \( -\omega \wedge \omega \), which can only be true if \( \omega \wedge \omega = 0 \). This property is crucial in simplifying expressions and computations involving differential forms.

Can the self wedge product of an even degree form be nonzero?

Yes, the self wedge product of an even degree differential form can be nonzero. Since the wedge product is antisymmetric, the key factor is the degree of the form. For even degree forms, the antisymmetry does not automatically lead to a zero product because swapping two forms does not change the sign of the product. Therefore, self wedge products like \( \omega \wedge \omega \) for even degree forms \( \omega \) can yield non-zero results, depending on the specifics of the form.

How is the self wedge product used in applications?

The self wedge product is used in various mathematical and physical applications, including the study of complex differential geometry, the formulation of certain types of integrals, and in theoretical physics, particularly in gauge theory and relativity. By eliminating terms that automatically go to zero (such as self wedge products of odd degree forms), mathematicians and physicists can simplify equations and focus on the terms that contribute to the solution of complex problems.