How Can Energy Loss Due to Friction in Guttering Water Flow Be Calculated?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ms3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coursework Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ms3
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi

For my physics coursework I want to investigate the energy lost due to friction when water travels along an piece of guttering.

However there seem to be many different and complex equations for this, which seems to depend of the type of flow etc etc

Could anyone help by telling me if this is even possible? and if so how could you calculate it?

thanks a lot
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ms3! Welcome to PF! :smile:
ms3 said:
For my physics coursework I want to investigate the energy lost due to friction when water travels along an piece of guttering.

Sound horribly complicated …

depends on the depth of the water, the cross-section of the gutter, and the slope, among other things …

and modern plastic guttering even sags slightly between supports …

I'd do something else :wink: