How Can Farhana Reach the Truck in Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the distance a truck must be from a balcony for a person to land on it. The solution involves finding the time it takes for the person to fall and using the equation distance = speed x time to calculate the distance. The quadratic equation is used to solve for time.
hotshot1kille

Homework Statement

Farhana is late for class and she is ready to do anything to get to school on time. She knows a mattress truck passes her balcony exactly at 8:42 a.m, traveling at a constant 40km/h. If her balcony is 8.21m from the ground and the truck has a height of 3.47. How far must the truck be from the balcony for Farhana to land on it.

Now i know, we have to find Δ d, and v1= 40km/h or 11.1111111111 m/s.

Homework Equations

Δd= v1Δt+ 1/2 aΔt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Δd= 8.21m- 3.47m
= 4.74m

Δt= Δd/Δv
= 4.74/ 11.111111111
= 0.4266 s

a= -9.8m/s^2

v1= 11.111111111m/s

Now it's asking how far the truck has to be, so it is asking for distance, and distance is speed over time. But i don't know how to find time. i tried but am i doing it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
So first step for you is to acknowledge that

time for truck to get to the balcony = time that takes her to fall on top of the truck

now for the girl to fall off can be derived by using the "five kinematic equation"
we know the V1 = 0, we know delta d=4.74 we know acceleration is a=-9.8
we can now solve for the time

now once you have the time
you know the equation distance = speed x time
we know the speed of the truck and now we know time
we can therefore get the distance

arpeggio said:
So first step for you is to acknowledge that

time for truck to get to the balcony = time that takes her to fall on top of the truck

now for the girl to fall off can be derived by using the "five kinematic equation"
we know the V1 = 0, we know delta d=4.74 we know acceleration is a=-9.8
we can now solve for the time

now once you have the time
you know the equation distance = speed x time
we know the speed of the truck and now we know time
we can therefore get the distance

I tried doing this and still got the wrong answer :S

The answer is 11m

and t= 0.569875104 or t= 1.697471834.

if distance = speed * time

and speed is 11.11m/s
dist= 11.11 * 0.569875104
dist= 6.331312405 (6.3m)

and the other one is just wayy off.

I got 11 m

did you get time = 0.98 second?

I think you got the quadratic equation wrong

[tex]\Delta d = V_{i}\Delta t + ( 1/2)a(\Delta t)^2 [/tex]

[tex] \Delta t = \frac{-V_{i} \pm \sqrt{ (V_{i})^2 - 4(1/2)a(-\Delta d)}}{a} [/tex]

did you use v1= 0 or 11.11?

tell me if I'm doing anything wrong, [tex]\Delta d = V_{i}\Delta t + ( 1/2)a(\Delta t)^2 [/tex]

delta t = -11.11 +- sqrt (11.11)^2 -4(1/2)(-9.8)(-4.74)
---------------------------------------------

-11.11+- sqrt 30.5281
----------------------
-9.8-11.11+5.525223977
----------------- = 0.569875104
-9.8-11.11 - 5.525223977
--------------------- = 1.697471834

am i right till here?

[tex] V_{i} = 0 [/tex]

arpeggio said:
I got 11 m

did you get time = 0.98 second?

I think you got the quadratic equation wrong

[tex] \Delta t = \frac{-V_{i} \pm \sqrt{ (V_{i})^2 - 4(1/2)a(-\Delta d)}}{a} [/tex]

To isolate t to one side

[tex]0 = V_{i}\Delta t + ( 1/2)a(\Delta t)^2 -\Delta d [/tex]

from here you use the quadratic equation which would be

if [tex] y= ax^2 + bx +c [/tex]

[tex] x= \frac{b \pm \sqrt {b^2 -4ac}}{2a} [/tex]

in this case
a= (1/2)(9.8)
b= Vi
c= -( delta d)
x = delta t

OH OK, thank you so much. I finally now get it!

anytime :) I am glad you got it

1. What is the "Truck problem" in Kinematics?

The "Truck problem" in Kinematics is a commonly used example that illustrates the concepts of distance, displacement, and velocity in a one-dimensional motion scenario. It involves a truck traveling at a constant speed, making stops and turns along the way.

2. What are the key variables in the Truck problem?

The key variables in the Truck problem are distance, displacement, velocity, and time. Distance refers to the total length of the truck's journey, displacement is the shortest distance from the initial to final position, velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time, and time is the duration of the truck's journey.

3. How is the Truck problem solved using Kinematic equations?

The Truck problem can be solved using the three kinematic equations: d = v0t + 1/2at2, v = v0 + at, and v2 = v02 + 2ad. These equations relate the variables of distance, velocity, acceleration, and time to each other in a one-dimensional motion scenario.

4. What is the importance of the Truck problem in understanding Kinematics?

The Truck problem is important for understanding Kinematics because it provides a real-life example that helps to visualize and apply the concepts of distance, displacement, and velocity. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking when using the kinematic equations to solve for unknown variables.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the Truck problem in Kinematics?

One common misconception is that the truck's speed is always constant in the problem, when in reality it may change during stops or turns. Another misconception is that displacement and distance are always equal, when in fact they are only equal if the truck travels in a straight line. It is also important to note that acceleration may be present even if the truck's speed remains constant, as acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity, not just speed.