How Can I Accurately Track 6DOF in a Small, Budget-Friendly Device?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lemd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Method Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
lemd
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone!

I try to build a device that can track 6 degree of freedom of itself but lacking a method provide enough accuracy. So I'm here asking you for help

The device's size needed to be about a cell phone or smaller
The accuracy needed to be enough for detect movement about 1/10 mm or smaller on each axis
It only needed to move on small area, about 20cm on each axis
And the cost is important, too, my goal is to keep the solution under 100$, if possible

If you have any advice, thank you!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
lemd said:
Hi everyone!

I try to build a device that can track 6 degree of freedom of itself but lacking a method provide enough accuracy. So I'm here asking you for help

The device's size needed to be about a cell phone or smaller
The accuracy needed to be enough for detect movement about 1/10 mm or smaller on each axis
It only needed to move on small area, about 20cm on each axis
And the cost is important, too, my goal is to keep the solution under 100$, if possible

If you have any advice, thank you!

Can you use rods to triangulate on the (x,y,z) position, and rotational shaft encoders to give you the rotations? Or is your intention to make this a non-contact system? What are the physical constraints?