1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I calculate kinetic friction?

1. Oct 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child slides down a slide with a 28 degree incline , and at the bottom her speed is precisly half what it would have been if the slide had been frictionless. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between the slide and the child.
    2. Relevant equations

Newtons second law
    3. The attempt at a solution

https://www.physicsforums.com/attac...6/?temp_hash=7d75ca4df687186214dd365d2dd18568

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand your writing ... I kinda see a diagram showing some forces, but I don't see a friction force on it, unless that's the "F" pointing down the slide.
    There's something that looks like script-written "Als" ... maybe a scribbled ##\mu_s## or something ... cannot tell.
    Please explain your reasoning.

4. Oct 24, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There are several things wrong with your equations.
    If mg is the gravitational force and the slope is θ, what is the normal force, and what is the downslope component of gravity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted