How can I calculate kinetic friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a child sliding down a slide with a 28 degree incline and reaching half of the speed they would have if the slide was frictionless. The task is to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between the slide and the child. The conversation also includes a diagram with forces and a discussion about the equation for Newton's second law. However, there are some errors in the equations and the normal force and downslope component of gravity are not properly identified.
Rick devena

Homework Statement

A child slides down a slide with a 28 degree incline , and at the bottom her speed is precisly half what it would have been if the slide had been frictionless. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between the slide and the child.

Homework Equations

Newtons second law

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.physicsforums.com/attac...6/?temp_hash=7d75ca4df687186214dd365d2dd18568[/B]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your writing ... I kinda see a diagram showing some forces, but I don't see a friction force on it, unless that's the "F" pointing down the slide.
There's something that looks like script-written "Als" ... maybe a scribbled ##\mu_s## or something ... cannot tell.
Please explain your reasoning.

There are several things wrong with your equations.
If mg is the gravitational force and the slope is θ, what is the normal force, and what is the downslope component of gravity?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the movement of an object over a surface.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest.

3. How do I calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the magnitude of the kinetic friction force by the normal force acting on the object.

4. What factors affect the value of kinetic friction?

The value of kinetic friction can be affected by the types of materials in contact, the smoothness of the surface, and the force pushing the objects together.

5. Can kinetic friction ever be greater than static friction?

No, kinetic friction is always less than or equal to static friction. This is because it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance of an object at rest than to maintain its motion.