How can I calculate relative humidity in helium?

In summary, the speaker wants to calculate the relative humidity in Helium using only the variables "dew point temperature", "gas temperature", and "gas pressure". They mention trying to use the Magnus and Antoine equations, but have read that the Antoine equation is not very accurate. They ask if the listener knows how to calculate the relative humidity with these variables and provide some resources for further information. The speaker also requests clarification on whether the calculation is for milliKelvin cryogenics or standard conditions.
Telefunken123
Hello,
I want to calculate the relative humidity in Helium. I only have the variables "dew point temperature", "gas temperature" and "gas pressure". So I tried with Magnus and Antoine equation. But I read that the Antoine equation is very unprecise. So do you know how to calculate the relative humidity in Helium with these variables?

Best regards
Telefunken

Engineering news on Phys.org
Telefunken123 said:
I only have the variables "dew point temperature", "gas temperature" and "gas pressure".
You do, we don't. Are we talking milliKelvin cryogenics or STP here ?

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What is relative humidity?

Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor that the air can hold at a given temperature. It is expressed as a percentage.

2. Why is it important to calculate relative humidity in helium?

Calculating relative humidity in helium is important because it helps to determine the amount of water vapor present in the helium gas. This is crucial for many applications, such as in industrial processes, scientific experiments, and weather forecasting.

3. How can I calculate relative humidity in helium?

To calculate relative humidity in helium, you will need to know the temperature and pressure of the helium gas. Then, you can use the ideal gas law and the vapor pressure of water at that temperature to determine the partial pressure of water vapor in the helium gas. Finally, you can use the partial pressure of water vapor and the saturation vapor pressure at that temperature to calculate the relative humidity.

4. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is often written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

5. What is the vapor pressure of water?

The vapor pressure of water is the pressure exerted by water vapor in a closed container at a given temperature. It is dependent on the temperature and is used in calculating the partial pressure of water vapor in a gas mixture.