How can I calculate work done when raising a mass using W = 32r^2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
ElectronicTeaCup
Messages
23
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
A cable weighing 2 pounds per foot of length (and so having a mass of 2 pounds per foot) is
suspended from the top of a well 200 feet deep and extends to the bottom. Find the work done in
raising the cable to the surface. Over the distance of 200 feet you may use 32m as the constant
weight of a mass m.
Relevant Equations
##\frac {dW} {dr} = F##
1591086794042.png

1591086826344.png
1591087613609.png

1591087650776.png

1591087693605.png
I do not understand how to get ##W = 32r^2##
 

Attachments

  • 1591087671816.png
    1591087671816.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 229
Physics news on Phys.org
ElectronicTeaCup said:
I do not understand how to get ##W = 32r^2##
Integrate ##F## over ##r##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ElectronicTeaCup