How can I correctly solve for dA in Gauss's Law for a sphere?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rib5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gauss's law Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Rib5
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Hey, I'm having some trouble solving for the dA portion of Guss's Law for a sphere as the Gaussian surface and a point charge on the inside.

According to my book, Integral(1dA) = 4(pi)r^2

So when I try to integrate it myself I get 2(pi^2)r^2
The integral I solve is [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int r\phi r\theta[/tex] where theta = [0,2pi] and phi = [0,pi]

Can anyone set me straight please?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
On the surface of a sphere, the element of area bounded by [itex]d\theta[/itex] and [itex]d\phi[/itex] has area [itex](r d\theta)(r \sin \theta d\phi) = r^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\phi[/itex].