1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I deal with this series?

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \displaystyle \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty }{\frac{\sin \left( \frac{1}{n} \right)-\frac{1}{n}}{{{n}^{\alpha }}}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've applied first the nth-test and I verified that the sequence tends to zero.

Then I realized that sin(1/n) is always positive, since the first term is 1, and sine is positive between 0 and 1. So no need to use alternate and absolute convergence tests.

Now I tried to apply the limit comparison test but I cannot find an equivalent function as n tends to infinity. This is not working don't know why:
    We have that
    [tex] \displaystyle \sin \left( \frac{1}{n} \right)\approx \frac{1}{n}[/tex]
    so
    [tex] \displaystyle \frac{\sin \left( \frac{1}{n} \right)-\frac{1}{n}}{{{n}^{\alpha }}}\approx \frac{1}{{{n}^{\alpha +1}}}[/tex]

What should I do? Ratio test and root test are useless...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

What you've written here isn't correct. The -1/n cancels the +1/n from the expansion of the sine. The leading order term in the numerator is -(1/3!)(1/n)^3.

If you want bounding sums, consider what the possible maximum and minimum values of the numerator are.

4. Jul 2, 2012 #3
    Thank you! I will try it and post if I get something

5. Jul 2, 2012 #4
    ALright so:

[tex] \displaystyle 0\ge \frac{\sin \left( \frac{1}{n} \right)-\frac{1}{n}}{{{n}^{\alpha }}}\ge \frac{-1}{{{n}^{\alpha }}}[/tex]

So the series should converge for all aplha greater or equal to 2. Is it right now?

6. Jul 2, 2012 #5
    Is it?

7. Jul 2, 2012 #6
    Why not try a Taylor series expansion of the sine function then calculate the convergence?

8. Jul 2, 2012 #7
    I only know how to do a Taylor expansion at a concrete point, not to infinity... how is that defined?

9. Jul 2, 2012 #8
    The TSE of sine is
    [itex]sin(x) ≈ x - x^{3}/3! +x^{5}/n! - x^{7}/7! +...[/itex]
    substituting in 1/n for x, it is clear that the higher order terms tend to 0 much faster than the first term as n approaches infinity. This justifies the original post that sin(1/n)≈ 1/n as n approaches some large value. And I believe your function will become 0 if this is case. As far as I can remember this approach should be valid but I have not taken Calc III in a few years.

10. Jul 2, 2012 #9
    This is Calculus I. What you've wrote is the TSE of sine at zero. That doesn't add anything, I've already used that sin(1/n) is equivalent to 1/n when n tends to infity

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  11. Jul 3, 2012 #10

Mute

Homework Helper

I haven't double checked those bounds, but assuming they're correct, that should work. What I had in mind was

[tex]-1 \leq \sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right) \leq 1,[/tex]

and so

[tex]-1 - \frac{1}{n} \leq \sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right) \leq 1 - \frac{1}{n}.[/tex]

Since 1 - 1/n is also less than one, it shows that as long as alpha is greater than 1, the series should converge since the sum over 1/n^alpha will converge for alpha > 1 (or, more precisely, any complex number alpha with real part greater than 1).

So, you can be pretty sure that the sum converges, at least for alpha > 1.

I suppose this doesn't strictly guarantee that the sum won't converge for some lower value of alpha - we might be able to find a smaller upper bound, after all. Using the Taylor series expansion as you've already tried, you may be able to come up a revised bound for alpha. For instance, since for large n, sin(1/n) - 1/n ~ -1/n^3 to leading order, you might be able to show that since [itex]( \sin(1/n) - 1/n)/n^\alpha \sim -(1/3!)(1/n^{3+\alpha})[/itex] that the sum should converge for alpha > -2. You just need to try and make that argument rigorous.

12. Jul 3, 2012 #11
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook