Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How can I describe geometrically the transformation ACA-1 ?

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1
    If A represents the matrix of a rotation of 45 degrees anti-clockwise around (0,0), B a shear with x-axis invariant and shear factor of 2, and C a reflection in the x-axis.

How can I describe geometrically the transformation ACA-1 ?

My answer is a rotation of 90 degrees anti-clockwise around (0,0) but surely there is more than that? :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

There is no B in this problem? Think about what happens to the unit vectors in the x and y directions. Since A corresponds to a 45 degree rotation anti-clockwise, A-1 corresponds to its opposite, a 45 degree rotation clockwise. The vector i is changed by A-1 to the vector [itex]\frac{sqrt{2}}{2}(i- j)[/itex], then by C to [itex]\frac{sqrt{2}}{2}(i+ j)[itex], then by A to j. Okay, that's been rotated 90 anti-clockwise. The vector j is changed by A-1 to [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(i+ j)[\itex], then by C to [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(i- j)[/itex] and finally by A to i. No, that's not a rotation by 90 degrees anti-clockwise! It is a reflection about what line?

4. Feb 7, 2006 #3
    line y = x :redface:

5. Feb 7, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Way to go!

6. Feb 7, 2006 #5
    That done I need to show that if P' is the image of P under D=BCB-1. If P is not on the x-axis, then PP' is bisected by the x-axis and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P?

I can visually see what's happening and can see that the angle is 90 degrees but how can I show it? :uhh:

7. Feb 7, 2006 #6
    Could anyone help me with the last question? Please:cry:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook