How can I design a reliable slewing bearing for a VAWT yaw control system?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
CloDawg
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I'm building a yaw control system for one of the universitys VAWT turbines.

I need to design a slewing bearing which can reliably support radial, axial and tilting moments. I have absolutely no idea how to do this or even where to start.

Could you please give me some advice as to go about solving this problem
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So-called 'spherical bearings' are used for this type of application. Finding a specific bearing to suit this really depends on the range of forces you need to support in each direction. Typically spherical bearings are used where some misalignment is unavoidable and needs to be compensated for / worked around, or where the geometry requires it, such as in the 'ball ends' of control rods, or the swash plates in helicopters.