How can I design an apparatus to resist a 300 lb load moving at 1 m/s?

  • Thread starter Thread starter omalleyt
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
omalleyt
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I need to find or design an apparatus, consisting of a wire and a load hanging from the wire, that can resist the load in such a manner as that no matter what the mass of the load is the load will move downwards at a velocity of 1 m/s. The load will be between 5 and 300 lbs. I am open to using motors, hydraulics, or anything necessary to achieve this result.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably use a motor with a high gear ratio (motor spins fast relative to the load). This will allow it to have good mechanical advantage so that the 300 lb load will not slow it down.