How Can I Determine the Exit Velocity of Water from a Pipe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alibond07
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pressure Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
alibond07
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi

I have constructed a pipe with a pressure gauge and a valve. I know the pressure of the air and water in the pipe. I know atmospheric pressure and I know the nozzle size. I want to be able to find the velocity of the water leaving the pipe.

Here are some variable I have:

1.)Pressure in pipe: (Static Pressure? I'm not sure about how to differentiate to stagnation pressure) (60psi)

2.) Nozzle diameter (3mm) , Pipe Diameter (15mm)

3.) Atmospheric Pressure (sea level)




Homework Equations



There is no set way to do this as it's a project of my own choice but after research I know that perhaps Bernoulli's equation may be relevant.

Another [tex]q=1/2P_{s}M^{2}[/tex] γ Which I think may be useful.

The Attempt at a Solution



After trying to use Bernoulli's equation and failing for many hours I gave up. I didn't understand the constant.

When trying to apply the second equation to my experiment I found that the dynamic pressure part was confusing me. I didn't know how this related to my experiment and by defining it online I didn't see how it could be obtained experimentally. Seeing as it's defined by it's velocity and that's what I'm trying to find out?

I was thinking about simply creating some distances and time results for the water and using those.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know a different approach to this? I've been at it for a long time and can't think of a way to do it apart from those two equations.