What happens to the Low Pass Filter as frequency approaches 0 and infinity?

• B
  • Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
In summary, the low pass filter function 1/x(sqrt(R^2+1/(x^2))) has a limit of 1 at x=0 (DC) and a limit of 0 at x=∞ (frequency). This is because at x=0, the first term in the denominator disappears and at x=∞, the last term in the denominator disappears.
houlahound
Low pass filter function

1/x(sqrt(R^2+1/(x^2)))

Just to show the limits as x approaches 0 and infinity, where x is frequency.

Physics news on Phys.org
Concise question ! Looks like homework, so PF culture requires some attempt at solution on your part. What do you propose ?

Self studier here, not enrolled in a course so HW is kind of a misnomer.

It should equal 1 at x = 0 ie DC, open circuit for capacitor and zero for frequency approaches infinity ie capacitor is short circuit.

It can't tho cos of the first term in x goes to 1/0 ie infinite at DC.

Self studier here
Kudos !

Simple recipe: for ##\ \ x\downarrow 0\ \ ## you want to be looking at something like ##\ \ A + x\ \ ## and for ##\ \ x\rightarrow\infty\ \ ## you want something like ##\ \ B + {1\over x}\ \ ##.

To wit for ##\ \ x\rightarrow\infty\ \ ##:$$ { 1\over x \sqrt{R^2+{1\over x^2}}}$$the last term in the denominator disappears besides R2 so you are left with ##1\over x R##.

For ##\ \ x\downarrow 0\ \ ## you bring the x inside the root: $${ 1\over \sqrt{x^2 R^2+1}}$$ and now the first term disappears besides the 1.

Likes houlahound
thanks, I cast the problem of x approaching 0 as

(1/x)*1/(stuff)

and wrongly insisted that due to the first term (1/x) that the behaviour had to blow up to infinity.

I wanted the equation to fit my expectation even tho I knew the behaviour of the low pass in advance.

1. How do I expand my research project?

To expand your research project, you can start by reviewing your current findings and identifying any gaps or areas for further investigation. You can also reach out to other experts in your field for collaboration or gather more data through surveys or experiments.

2. What are some strategies for expanding my research?

Some strategies for expanding your research may include conducting literature reviews, exploring new perspectives or theories, applying different methodologies, or seeking funding for additional resources or equipment.

3. How can I expand my scientific knowledge?

To expand your scientific knowledge, you can attend conferences and workshops, read research articles and books, collaborate with other scientists, and stay up to date with current developments in your field.

4. What are some benefits of expanding my research?

Expanding your research can lead to new discoveries, a deeper understanding of your topic, and potential applications or implications for your findings. It can also enhance your credibility and contribute to the advancement of your field.

5. Are there any challenges to expanding my research?

Expanding your research can be challenging, as it may require additional time, resources, and expertise. It may also involve facing unexpected obstacles or having to revise your initial hypotheses. However, overcoming these challenges can lead to valuable insights and contributions to your field.