Question on sampling frequency/low pass filter

In summary, the question is whether higher frequency sampling and applying a low pass filter can provide any additional information compared to lower frequency sampling with a low pass filter. The answer depends on the power spectrum of the data and the effects of aliasing. It is often best to use an analog filter before sampling to prevent aliasing issues.
hob
Hi all,

I have a question relating to sample rates and data filtering.

I have a (relatively) high sampling rate of 100Hz, there is some high frequency "noise" present that acts over the range of 1-15Hz.

My question is, given that I am interested in much lower frequencies (slow movement around 250 seconds /4x10^-3 Hz) is there anything to be obtained from higher frequency sampling?

I.e provided my sample rate is sufficiently high (say 0.5Hz) and I apply a low pass filter (at 0.25Hz) to prevent aliasing, is there any more to be gained compared with higher freq logging with a low pass filter at 1Hz?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer depends on the power spectrum of the measured data, and the effects of aliasing when you sample the data.

As an extreme example, suppose the signal you are interested in at 0.004 Hz has an amplitude of about 1, but there is a noise signal at about 10 Hz with amplitude 10.

if you sample at about 0.5Hz, the sampled data will be mainly the noise, and the 10 Hz will be aliased to some frequency between 0 and 0.25Hz (the Nyquist frequency). That may cause problems when you filter the data.

On the other hand if you sampled at 100 Hz, if would be trivial to filter out the noise at 10 Hz.

Actually, in real life the best technique is often to use an analog filter before sampling, to make sure there that aliasing won't happen. If you did that, a sample rate of 0.5 Hz (or even lower) would probably be OK.

What is the purpose of sampling frequency?

The sampling frequency is the number of times a signal is measured or sampled per second. It determines the resolution and accuracy of the signal. Higher sampling frequencies allow for more precise measurements, but also require more storage space and processing power.

How do I choose the appropriate sampling frequency?

The sampling frequency should be at least twice the highest frequency component of the signal according to the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem. However, factors such as the desired resolution, signal bandwidth, and system limitations should also be considered when choosing the appropriate sampling frequency.

What is a low pass filter and how does it relate to sampling frequency?

A low pass filter is a signal processing filter that allows low frequency components of a signal to pass through while attenuating high frequency components. It is often used in conjunction with sampling frequency to prevent aliasing, which occurs when high frequency components are mistakenly interpreted as lower frequencies due to inadequate sampling.

How can I optimize my sampling frequency and low pass filter for a specific application?

The optimal sampling frequency and low pass filter will depend on the specific application and the characteristics of the signal being measured. It is important to carefully consider the requirements and limitations of the system and consult with experts if necessary to determine the best approach.

Can I use a low pass filter to increase the effective sampling rate?

While a low pass filter can help prevent aliasing, it does not actually increase the effective sampling rate. The sampling rate is fixed and cannot be increased after the signal has been sampled. However, a low pass filter can help improve the quality and accuracy of the sampled signal by reducing noise and unwanted high frequency components.