How can i find the coefficient of kinetic friction?

In summary: If μk depends on mass like you assume it does, then you should at least determine exactly how it depends on mass.I provided you with the work above that I have done so far.meu k(mgcos(theta))-(mgsin(theta))=ma but I have two variables.What happens if you divide both sides by m?μk=a/g(cos(theta))-(sin(theta)) ?μk=a/g(cos(theta))-(sin(theta)) ?Double check your algebra. If you get the same answer show your steps.μk=a/(gsintheta)-(
ciara0682

Homework Statement

I know incline is 16 degrees
I know distance traveled is 2.85 meters
I know Vf is 2.71 meters/second I calculated the meu static and got .287

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried every thing so lost

Physics news on Phys.org
ciara0682 said:

Homework Statement

I know incline is 16 degrees
I know distance traveled is 2.85 meters
I know Vf is 2.71 meters/secondI calculated the meu static and got .287

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried every thing so lost

Welcome to the PF.

Please fill out the Template a bit more. What is the exact problem statement? What are the relevant equations? Please show us your work where you say you got the static μ to be 0.287

A flatbed truck slowly tilts its bed upwards to dispose of a crate. When the tilt angle is 16 degrees or above the create begins to slide. When the create reaches the bottom of the flatbed, it has slide 2.85 meters, its speed is 2.71 m/s.
I found meu static by summing the forces in both the x and y direction which all and all gave me the formula of meu static = tan of the angle. Tan(16)=.287 now I'm stuck on how to calculate meu kinetic because you need acceleration. But with no mass...I have two variables. I'm just very confused.

ciara0682 said:
But with no mass...I have two variables.
Give it a try anyway. Sometimes (when the net force is proportional to the mass) you don't need to know the mass. For example, if I drop my computer right now, even though I have no idea what it's mass is, I can tell you it accelerates at 9.8 m/s/s

But in the formula I reach...the masses just can't cancel? I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding. I get your analogy, but still confused on how it pertains to a frictional problem.

ciara0682 said:
A flatbed truck slowly tilts its bed upwards to dispose of a crate. When the tilt angle is 16 degrees or above the create begins to slide. When the create reaches the bottom of the flatbed, it has slide 2.85 meters, its speed is 2.71 m/s.
I found meu static by summing the forces in both the x and y direction which all and all gave me the formula of meu static = tan of the angle. Tan(16)=.287 now I'm stuck on how to calculate meu kinetic because you need acceleration. But with no mass...I have two variables. I'm just very confused.

ciara0682 said:
But in the formula I reach...the masses just can't cancel? I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding. I get your analogy, but still confused on how it pertains to a frictional problem.

Draw a free body diagram (FBD) for the crate sliding down the ramp. Show the component forces due to gravity and due to the sliding friction. Then use F=ma and sum the forces... Please show that work...

I went back to the basics and started with the kinetic formula. Xf=x+Vot+1/2at^2... I used Vf=Vo+at solved for t...plugged that into kinematic equation.
Now I have Xf=1/2a(Vf/a) ^2 solved for a. Then plugged that into...meu k(mgcos(theta))-(mgsin(theta))=ma but I have two variables. This is where I'm lost. And who knows of I am even doing that part right.

ciara0682 said:
But in the formula I reach...the masses just can't cancel?
Have you actually tried it, or are you just guessing?

ciara0682 said:
I get your analogy, but still confused on how it pertains to a frictional problem.
The analogy was not really supposed to give you any insight; the point of my post was to just try finding μk and see what happens!

If μk depends on mass like you assume it does, then you should at least determine exactly how it depends on mass.

I provided you with the work above that I have done so far.

ciara0682 said:
meu k(mgcos(theta))-(mgsin(theta))=ma but I have two variables.
What happens if you divide both sides by m?

μk=a/g(cos(theta))-(sin(theta)) ?

ciara0682 said:
μk=a/g(cos(theta))-(sin(theta)) ?
Double check your algebra. If you get the same answer show your steps.

μk=a/(gsintheta)-(gcostheta)...I solved for uk and I still got the incorrect answer. grrrrrrrrrr. sorry for growling.

ciara0682 said:
μk=a/(gsintheta)-(gcostheta)
Your algebra is still wrong. Triple check it :smile:

ciara0682 said:
grrrrrrrrrr. sorry for growling.
As long as you don't bite we're okay.

a+gsin(theta)/gcos(theta) ...

From your equation, I get [itex]\mu_k=\frac{a}{g\cos\theta}+\tan\theta[/itex]

Also when you plug in the value for a, remember which directions you chose to be positive and negative (you said that downhill was negative, so the acceleration will be negative)

trig is not my strongest area. whoops. I realized my mistake in algebra... gracias mi amigo!

de nada

Likes ciara0682

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in motion relative to each other. It is a dimensionless number that is typically denoted as μk.

2. How can I measure the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be measured by conducting an experiment where a known force is applied to an object and the resulting acceleration is recorded. By using the equation Fk = μkN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied. Other factors that may influence the coefficient of kinetic friction include temperature, surface area, and the presence of lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction represents the resistance between two surfaces when they are in motion relative to each other. On the other hand, the coefficient of static friction represents the resistance between two surfaces when they are at rest and not moving relative to each other. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

5. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important because it helps us understand the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in motion. This information is essential in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and material science, as it can help in designing and improving the efficiency of machines and structures. It also plays a crucial role in everyday activities, such as driving, walking, and sports.