Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i generate electricity with out any feul

1. Jun 7, 2008 #1
    any body helps me that how can i generate electricity 12volts DC or give me idea to run car generater for 12 Volts Dc and then i converts it through UPS in 220Volts AC but there is big problem that how can i opreate or run car generater (with out any feul tecnology or wind and water) teel other source or technique to run generater i need only 500 to 1000 watts so please help me
    Thanks
    My name is Hadi Bux I M from Pakistan
    send me email or this forum
    panhwar2008@yahoo.com

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, you certainly need some kind of energy source. That 1000 watts has to come from somewhere. Solar maybe? With a bicycle setup, you can generate about 100W yourself for a while, depending on what kind of physical shape you are in....

4. Jun 8, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand what is actually needed. 12 Vdc or 220 Vac?

Does it need to be portable? Carried by hand, or sitting in the car? Or is this for backup when the electricity goes out in the house?

How long must the device operate? A car battery might last about an hour at 500-1000 W, then it would need recharging before it can be used again.

More information about the application and requirements are likely to get a better answer.

5. Jun 11, 2008 #4
    i need 12V DC but the method is cheepest how it is possible or how can i do it to make cheepest generetor to generate 12v dc volts
    So please any friend knows please tell me

6. Jun 11, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't say where you would be using this (in the home? in a car? outside of a home or car?), but here are some ideas:

In the home, a 12 Vdc converter that plugs into a wall outlet.

In a car, a simple cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Outside of home & car, a 12V rechargeable battery. Get one just big enough to provide your required current or power.

7. Jun 11, 2008 #6
    There's several designs out there to run a battery charger from a bicycle hooked up to a car's alternator. Most people can generate about 100W for several hours using this method - maybe up to 300W if you are in really good shape. If you really need up to 1000W, then you'll have to pedal for several hours to charge up some batteries before you can use the stored energy.

Here's one example, a 150W pedal powered generator:
    http://www.scienceshareware.com/build-your-own-generator-bike-trainer-stand.htm

8. Jun 16, 2008 #7
    any other power generating method for cheep cost i m from pakistan

9. Jun 16, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where will you be using it? What are you using it for?

A 12 Vdc converter that plugs into a wall outlet is fairly inexpensive, at least in the USA (about 20 to 30 $US here). But you would be restricted to using it in the home or places where there is a regular 220V wall outlet.

10. Jun 17, 2008 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

11. Jun 17, 2008 #10
    friends you cant under stand me i need 12 V DC out put i m from very poor area of pakistan there is electricity but fluctuation of light in our country there is very big problem in 24 hours a day electricity is present onlt 10 hours and 14 hours power fells so i need some low cost idea that i generate 12V DC power with out any feul that can charge battery and i use UPS to convert 12V DC to 220V AC ok.

12. Jun 17, 2008 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The answers you've already been given are pretty good.

You can't generate electricity without some energy input. Can you use the sun? Wind? Hydro? An engine? Human power? 500-1,000W is a large amount of energy to be expecting from nothing. You can't get it from nowhere.

13. Jun 17, 2008 #12

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hadi, thank you for explaining the situation more fully.

One option might be to get a larger capacity battery for the UPS. I don't know how easy it would be to replace the battery in the UPS unit with a large car or truck battery to your UPS. If you're somewhat handy with electronics it should be possible.

You might also need a separate battery charger, with which you would charge the battery during the time power is on.

Of course, there is a lot involved with that approach, and a gasoline-powered generator might be the easiest solution after all.

I think the solution, if there is one, will not be very cheap.

Regards,

Mark

14. Jun 17, 2008 #13
    Here in India, we have so called "Inverters" which use large vehicle batteries. Most houses here use these, as they are relatively cheap (compared to gasoline-run generators) and quite a life-saver during the monsoons.
    Battery output around 14V DC and is converted to 240V AC by an additional unit. They cost between Rs 3000 and Rs 5000 approximately (around 100$). These can supply around 1000W for a period of 4-5 hours. Gasoline powered generators could cost almost double that, and maintenance would be high due to obvious reasons today.
    I am sure these must be available in Pakistan cities as well. If you have friends in cities, you can ask them about these devices.

Solar generators would be nice in tropical regions, if only they could work at night! Maybe a strong battery unit would hold for a night, but then again initial costs are too high. Same for wind.

15. Jun 17, 2008 #14

RonL

Gold Member

Can you say a little about your life, what you know how to do, and what kind of resources you have to work with??
    Do you have friends, family, or neighbors that can help or supply things, maybe even a scrap yard that might have items you can use.

Thanks to "Google Earth" I passed over your place this morning:smile:
    there are a few places in Pakistan that have picture coverage, and we can see the terrain quite clearly.

It's getting to be a great world to live in.

I know you have air to work with, and if you have any source of natural gas, you might be close to some possibilities.
    Hope to hear from you again.

Ron

16. Jun 17, 2008 #15
    is this possible that to opreate generators on biogas if yes then please inform me in detail
    thanks.

17. Jun 17, 2008 #16

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This sounds like the best idea so far.

18. Jun 18, 2008 #17
    To add to that, I have been using one for nearly 5 years now, with 0 maintenance and still going strong.
    Here's a popular brand's website http://www.su-kam.com/inverters.html

19. Jun 18, 2008 #18

russ_watters

He still needs to charge the batteries, though, so I don't see how that changes the underlying problem.

20. Jun 18, 2008 #19

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He has electricity for 10 hours a day, that's when you can charge the battery.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  21. Jun 18, 2008 #20

russ_watters

From post 7, though:
    It sounds to me like he's looking for a way to keep the batteries charged during the times the power is out (ie, the batteries aren't big enough to run what he wants for that long). But I don't know for sure - the posts were tough to read.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?