Need help shrinking turbine generator coils?

In summary, Kyle is looking for a small generator to power a water wheel type turbine. He is a senior in college and does not have many connections or experience. He has researched theory and how to develop generators at home. He has found a motor that may work, but it is too large for his purposes.
Kbement
Hey everyone,

New to the site and I'm liking what I've come across so far but I'm having some trouble with a project of mine. I'm an ME by trade but this is definitely more of an electrical engineering problem. I need to make a small turbine generator that operates in a water wheel type design that has the turbine and the magnet rotating around a generator coil pack. A unit that I purchased runs along a similar design I have in mind but I need to shrink it. My only problem (so far, there will be more) is that the generator coil pack is too large as of now. Does anyone know where to maybe find a smaller one of similar design or even possibly how to go about making one (may be more than I can handle)? I'm still a senior in college so I don't have too many connections or really the experience on where to source parts and/or services to accomplish something like this. The generator that I have produces more than enough power than what I need so I'm not worried about the power loss that will come from shrinking this. I'll post some pictures of the generator below. Here are a few dimensions.

OD = 1"
ID = .4"
Don't know how many coil turns ther are in any of the protrusions
Unit is DC so I'm guessing there's a rectifier on the circuit board??

I would really like to reduce the size of this by a third or even more. Idk if getting something that small is feasible or not. Any sugestions or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks for your input!

Kyle
IMG_2324.JPG
IMG_2325.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

There are hobbyist generators that may work. How much power do you require?

I only need about 3W. The generator I have gives me a voltage of roughly 13v with an amperage of about 4. So in theory I should have about 52W of power but it seems to good to be true, especially for its size.

Thanks,

Kyle

A Google search on "miniature dc motor +3w" returned 109 hits.

What research have you done so far?

Thanks for the help. I've done research on theory and how to develop at home generators and more complex ones. I've google searched all kinds of things but I just can't find one small enough

Take apart an old disk drive. You'll find small magnet and coil structures inside the motor. Might be adaptable.

1. What is a turbine generator coil?

A turbine generator coil is an essential component of a turbine generator, which is a machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. The coil is made up of copper wire and is responsible for generating electricity by rotating within a magnetic field.

2. How does a turbine generator coil work?

When the turbine rotates, it causes the coil to rotate within a magnetic field, which creates an electric current in the coil. This current is then routed to the generator, where it is converted into usable electricity.

3. What are the materials used to make turbine generator coils?

The primary material used to make turbine generator coils is copper wire. Copper is an excellent conductor of electricity and can withstand high temperatures, making it ideal for use in generator coils. Some other materials that may be used include aluminum, steel, and various alloys.

4. How are turbine generator coils maintained?

Turbine generator coils require regular maintenance to ensure they continue to function efficiently. This includes regular inspections for any signs of wear or damage, as well as cleaning to remove any debris or dust that may affect performance. If necessary, the coils may also be repaired or replaced.

5. Are there different types of turbine generator coils?

Yes, there are different types of turbine generator coils, including stator coils and rotor coils. Stator coils are stationary and surround the rotor, while rotor coils rotate within the stator. The design and configuration of the coils can also vary depending on the specific turbine generator and its intended use.