How can i get the velocity of waves ?

In summary, the formula for calculating the velocity of waves is v = λf, where v is the velocity, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. The wavelength of a wave can be measured by taking the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave. The velocity of waves can change depending on the medium they are traveling through and is affected by properties like density and elasticity, as well as temperature and pressure. The velocity of waves has practical applications in fields such as aviation, building design, and studying wave behavior in different mediums.
Mohamed9005

Homework Statement

if y =0.03sin(50x-300t) (SI UNITS) , the wavelength of the wave is _______

The Attempt at a Solution

ω=300=2*∏*linear frequency
therefore frequency = 150/∏ hz
then λ=Velocity/frequency

λ=(∏/150)*velocity
i'm stuck here,i seriously don't know how can i get the velocity of the wave

Physics news on Phys.org
#close request
problem solved

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of waves?

The formula for calculating the velocity of waves is v = λf, where v is the velocity, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

2. How do you measure the wavelength of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave can be measured by taking the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave.

3. Can the velocity of waves change?

Yes, the velocity of waves can change depending on the medium they are traveling through. For example, the velocity of sound waves is faster in solids than in gases.

4. What factors affect the velocity of waves?

The velocity of waves can be affected by the properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity. It can also be affected by the temperature and pressure of the medium.

5. How can I use the velocity of waves in practical applications?

The velocity of waves is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the speed of sound in air for aviation and designing earthquake-resistant buildings. It is also used in fields like oceanography and seismology to study and understand the behavior of waves in different mediums.