How can I put deep cycle batteries in a semi tractor-trailer?

In summary, you can run a 1800 watt load on a set up like this provided you have a separate starting battery.
Mike9119
Hello I drive for a truck company and am getting tired of being charged for idling my truck to keep my batteries from depleting. I have a 2000w inverter now that's hooked to the truck. I had the idea of putting a few deep cycle batteries and charging them somehow with truck inverter or outlets while I drive so I don't have to idle. Is this possible? If so what would I need to get? I have never used any kind of setup like this before solar or offers anything tho I have always been interested in it. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mike9119 said:
Hello I drive for a truck company and am getting tired of being charged for idling my truck to keep my batteries from depleting. I have a 2000w inverter now that's hooked to the truck. I had the idea of putting a few deep cycle batteries and charging them somehow with truck inverter or outlets while I drive so I don't have to idle. Is this possible? If so what would I need to get? I have never used any kind of setup like this before solar or offers anything tho I have always been interested in it. Thank you.

Sure, you can do that as long as you have a separate starting battery.

The key thing you need is a charge controller for the deep cycle batteries, preferably a 3-stage charge controller. The controller uses nominally 12 v in and 12 v out. That is commonly used on boats to charge deep cycle batteries from the alternator or from solar/wind sources. A search for alternator charge controller on Google returned numerous results ranging from $79 to $250 in cost.

The cheapest deep cycle batteries are typically 6 volt golf cart batteries. You wire them in series to make a 12 v bank.

Then you need to wire your house loads to draw from the deep cycle batteries, rather than directly from the alternator/starter. If you need help with a wiring diagram, post again.

Likes nsaspook, Mike9119 and berkeman
anorlunda said:
Sure, you can do that as long as you have a separate starting battery.

The key thing you need is a charge controller for the deep cycle batteries, preferably a 3-stage charge controller. The controller uses nominally 12 v in and 12 v out. That is commonly used on boats to charge deep cycle batteries from the alternator or from solar/wind sources. A search for alternator charge controller on Google returned numerous results ranging from $79 to $250 in cost.

The cheapest deep cycle batteries are typically 6 volt golf cart batteries. You wire them in series to make a 12 v bank.

Then you need to wire your house loads to draw from the deep cycle batteries, rather than directly from the alternator/starter. If you need help with a wiring diagram, post again.
Cool seems like i got stuff to reference and research now. What kind of load can I run on that set up? Right now I peak at 1800 watts with a microwave fridge ps3 tv going.

1800 w ihs a lot on battery load.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/xantrex-xm1800-pro-series-inverter.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAv4jDBRCC1IvzqqDnkYYBEiQA89utokEOkmkBEswNg4yr7hEZ0_2AYqHAfuWmJAVbUhoSpt8aAj8Z8P8HAQ

that is a link for an 1800 w inverter with 88% efficiency.

1800w/0.88 = 2045 w
2045 w/ 12v = 170 amps

As a rule, deep cycle batteries should not be used more than 30% of rated amp-hours. Otherwise, their life is shortened. A 6 v golf cart battery is rated 215 Ah. 215*0.3=65

So, with one bank of 12 v batteries (two 6 v batteries in series), you can run 1800 w for 65/215 hours or about 23 minutes. For an hour, you need three banks (six 6V batteries).

But those numbers assume a steady load of 1800 w, that's good for sizing the inverter, but not for sizing the batteries. Realistically, you need to figure average power, not peak power. For example, your microwave probably doesn't run more than 5 minutes. Your fridge cycles 15 minutes per hour max.

Figure your total Ah use overnight, then do calculations similar to the above to see how many batteries you need.

Likes Mike9119
anorlunda said:
As a rule, deep cycle batteries should not be used more than 30% of rated amp-hours. Otherwise, their life is shortened.
Yep.
When maintaining a series of 10 deep cycle batteries for a multi-lab UPS, I wrote the SOP for the weekly and monthly maintance that included documentation. These deep cycle batteries tend to be quite expensive and "most" warranties will only be honored with some sort of documentation.

Deep cycle batteries tend to use “AGM” construction rather than the higher current “flooded cell” batteries used to start vehicles, which have slightly different voltages. Batteries charged in parallel should be of the same construction and chemistry. If mixed battery types are used, the charging circuit will need to allow for the slightly different voltages or it will not fully charge both types.

At 20°C the 12 volt lead-acid battery charge maintenance voltages are;
13.167 volt Gel.
13.515 volt AGM, (absorbed glass mat).
13.719 volt Flooded cell.

Baluncore said:
Deep cycle batteries tend to use “AGM” construction rather than the higher current “flooded cell” batteries used to start vehicles, ...
Construction images for these types compliments of Battery University.
Figure 1: Starter battery
The starter battery has many thin plates in parallel to achieve low resistance with high surface area. The starter battery does not allow deep cycling.
Courtesy of Cadex
starter.jpg

Figure 2: Deep-cycle battery
The deep-cycle battery has thick plates for improved cycling abilities. The deep-cycle battery generally allows about 300 cycles.
Courtesy of Cadex
deep cycle.jpg

1. Can I use deep cycle batteries in my semi tractor-trailer?

Yes, it is possible to use deep cycle batteries in a semi tractor-trailer. However, it is important to ensure that the batteries are compatible with the electrical system of the vehicle and have enough capacity to power all necessary components.

2. How many deep cycle batteries do I need for my semi tractor-trailer?

The number of deep cycle batteries needed for a semi tractor-trailer will depend on the specific electrical system and power requirements of the vehicle. It is recommended to consult with a professional or refer to the vehicle's manual for the appropriate number of batteries.

3. How do I install deep cycle batteries in a semi tractor-trailer?

The installation process will vary depending on the specific vehicle and battery type. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. In general, the batteries should be securely mounted and connected to the appropriate electrical components.

4. How long will deep cycle batteries last in a semi tractor-trailer?

The lifespan of deep cycle batteries in a semi tractor-trailer will depend on various factors, such as the quality of the batteries, usage patterns, and maintenance. On average, deep cycle batteries can last anywhere from 3-10 years.

5. How do I maintain deep cycle batteries in a semi tractor-trailer?

To ensure the longevity and optimal performance of deep cycle batteries in a semi tractor-trailer, regular maintenance is essential. This may include keeping the batteries clean and properly charged, as well as checking for any signs of damage or wear and tear.