How can I rewrite the series to apply the formula without changing the result?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Observer Two
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
[itex]\sum\limits_{m=-N}^N e^{-i m c} = \frac{sin[0.5(2N+1) c]}{sin[0.5 c]}[/itex]

I have to show the equality. But I'm absolutely dumbfounded how to even begin. I always hated series. I tried to use Euler's identity.

[itex]e^{-i m c} = cos(mc) - i sin(mc)[/itex]

Then I tried to sum over the 2 terms separately. But I'm not sure if this is even valid and I certainly don't get what I want. Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been told this before but I don't see how this helps me to be honest.

∑[itex]q^x = \frac{1 - q^{n+1}}{1 - q}[/itex]

I'm surely overlooking something ... How do I apply this to my exp function?
 
Observer Two said:
I have been told this before but I don't see how this helps me to be honest.

∑[itex]q^x = \frac{1 - q^{n+1}}{1 - q}[/itex]

I'm surely overlooking something ... How do I apply this to my exp function?
First, note that this formula is correct if the sum is taken from ##0## to ##n##. Your sum goes from ##-N## to ##N##, so you will have to manipulate it before you can apply the formula.

If you don't see why your series is geometric, note that ##e^{-imc} = z^m## where ##z = e^{-ic}##.