1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric series algebra / exponential/ 2 summations

1. Nov 5, 2016 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to show that ## \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} log (1-q^n) = -\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{q^{n.m}}{m} ##, where ##q^{n}=e^{2\pi i n t} ## , ##t## [1] a complex number in the upper plane.

2. Relevant equations

Only that ## e^{x} = \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{m}}{m!}## [2]

3. The attempt at a solution

I can see that both series start from ##n,m=1## in the RHS of [1] , so if I use [2] starting from ##m=1## will result in the '1' cancelling as needed i.e. I have ## \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} log (1-q^n) = \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} log (\sum\limits_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{(2\pi int)^{m}}{m!})##

I don't really no where to go now, I don't see how you can get another expansion in terms of ##q^{m}## from this to give the required ##q^{n.m}##, I can see there's a minus sign too but I'm struggling to use this as a clue as well.

Many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2016 #2
    I am also struggling to show that ## \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} n \frac{q^{n}}{(1-q^n)} = \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} n \sum\limits_{m=1}^{\infty} q^{m.n} ##

I'm guessing it's the same things I'm missing in both cases...many thanks in advance.

4. Nov 5, 2016 #3
    Unless I'm missing something, isn't this just a matter of Taylor expanding ##\log(1-q^{n})##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted