1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I rotate a parabola.

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    How can I "rotate" a parabola.

I want to take an image and make it kind of wavy to distort it (like in a capcha form the letters are distorted sometimes with a wave) . So i figure that I could translate the pixels along a parabola. So the function where y=X[itex]^{2}[/itex] would make the image curve downwards. If i want to curve it in other directions I would need to somehow rotate that parabola. I am not an expert at math so I have no idea how to do this. Im sure it is a simple thing but It would really help me alot. Thanks for any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2
    Re: How can I "rotate" a parabola.

Write the parabola in parametric form:

[tex]y = t^2, \quad x = t[/tex]

Pick an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to rotate by. The general equations governing the new coordinates are

[tex]x'(t) = x(t) \cos \theta - y(t) \sin \theta \\
    y'(t) = y(t) \cos \theta + x(t) \sin \theta[/tex]

(It's not strictly necessary to write in parametric, but it's usually easy to plot that way rather than go back and resolve for [itex]y(x)[/itex]).

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    Re: How can I "rotate" a parabola.

Thank you very much for your answer. It also gives me some more insight on how to rotate other things too. It will be very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook