Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i separate water vapor from biogas

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    Hi
    I need to know how i can separate the water vapor from biogas
    i know that there is separation of H2S and Co2
    but what the procedure to remove water vapor from biogas ?
    thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    You condense it out.

4. Mar 28, 2014 #3

Lok

Condensation or freezing is a way to go.
    Bio-gas (at least the useful bits of it) is methane maybe some ethane and rarely some propane. All with a boiling point higher than waters freezing point. Or higher pressure to induce condensation. There are chemicals like MgSo4 (dehydrated) that can absorb water although their dehydration is energy consuming and not practical for large quantities.

5. Mar 28, 2014 #4
    thank you
    but can i use flash tank to separate it ??

6. Mar 31, 2014 #5

Lok

Flash tanks are usually use for evaporating a process that is not necessary. You could use the tank to pump the gas at higher than normal pressure (check the tank specs) which would condense the water. The tank should be cooled not heated.

A normal tank should do, no need for the whole flash tank gear.

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6
    hi, can you build a demister in PSA system? I am doing my thesis on biogas and was wondering if I can build a demister using a steel wool to purify biogas from water vapour. Do you think it will help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted