How to calculate boiler Fuel Requirement for how much water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of operating a steam turbine through biogas for a research thesis. The main question is how to calculate the boiler water requirements, specifically the amount of biogas heat needed to heat a certain amount of water. There is also a discussion about the knowledge and preparation needed for such a thesis.
saadi_aq
I am doing my research thesis. I want to operate a steam turbine through biogas. I need to know how do I calculate the boiler water requirements i.e how much biogas heat will be required to heat an exact amount of water? Is there a specific way to calculate it? thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you cannot do a basic preliminary calculation do you think it's wise to attempt an entire thesis on this subject?

billy_joule is right.

If you don't know anything about rankine cycles and how they work, your thesis could be a bit frustrating. If you want to delve further into this research, just saying "I want to operate a steam turbine through biogas." is woefully vague. How much power do you wish to extract from the turbine? What sort of steaming conditions will the turbine be designed to accept? Condenser or cooling tower?

1. What is the formula for calculating boiler fuel requirement for water?

The formula for calculating the boiler fuel requirement for water is:Fuel requirement (kg/hr) = Boiler evaporation (kg/hr) ÷ Specific energy of fuel (kJ/kg)

2. How do I determine the boiler evaporation rate?

The boiler evaporation rate can be determined by dividing the mass flow rate of steam leaving the boiler (kg/hr) by the enthalpy of evaporation (kJ/kg). This information can usually be found in the boiler's specifications or by consulting a steam table.

3. What is the specific energy of fuel and how do I find it?

The specific energy of fuel is the amount of energy contained in 1 kilogram of a particular fuel. This information can be found in the fuel's specifications or by consulting a fuel handbook or database.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate fuel requirement for any type of boiler?

No, the formula for calculating boiler fuel requirement may vary depending on the type of boiler and the type of fuel being used. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications or seek guidance from a professional when calculating fuel requirement for a specific boiler.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating boiler fuel requirement for water?

Yes, other factors that may affect the calculation of boiler fuel requirement include the boiler's efficiency, operating pressure, and ambient conditions. It is important to account for these factors to ensure an accurate calculation of fuel requirement.