How can I solve for b in the equation csc(6b+pi/8) = sec(2b-pi/8)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter I Like Pi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
I Like Pi
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Solving trig function...

Homework Statement


given, [tex]csc(6b+pi/8) = sec(2b-pi/8)[/tex]

solve for b

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I managed to simplify it to:

[tex]cos(2b-pi/8) = sin(6b+pi/8)[/tex]

How would i solve for b :confused:

well i know that [tex]sinx = cos(pi/2-x)[/tex] so...
[tex]cos(2b-pi/8) = cos[pi/2-(6b+pi/8)][/tex]
[tex]cos(2b-pi/8) - cos[pi/2-(6b+pi/8)] = 0[/tex]
[tex]cos[(2b-pi/8)-(pi/2-6b-pi/8)] = 0[/tex]
[tex]8b-pi/2 = cos-1(0)[/tex]
[tex]8b = pi[/tex]
[tex]b=pi/8[/tex]

but it doesn't work :sad:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


[tex]cos^{-1}(cosA+cosB)\neq A+B[/tex]

which is what you have done.

And just as a word of advice, if you do happen to do something to the equation such as take the inverse cosine of it, you need to do it all in one go - i.e. don't take the inverse of one side, then the inverse of the other side. Do it altogether.

Using [tex]sin(x)=cos(\pi/2-x)[/tex]

[tex]sin(6b+\pi/8)=cos(3\pi/8-6b)=cos(-3(2b-\pi/8))[/tex]

Now use the fact that [tex]cos(x)=cos(-x)[/tex] and you should be all good from there.