How can I solve special Fermi-Dirac integral at Physics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a complex integral involving a deformed Fermi-Dirac function. The integral is divergent at x=0 and needs to be separated into two parts. The conversation also mentions a related integral that is solved in terms of a series. The conversation ends with a question asking for ideas on how to solve the integral.
msenay

Homework Statement

I need to solve this integral,

$$\int _{-\infty }^{\infty }x\left( \dfrac {1} {1-e^{-x}}+\dfrac {1} {1+qe^{-x}}\right) dx$$

My advisor said its solution will be zero. But i haven't improved it yet. There is important case. This integral is divergent at x=0. So, i should separate two parts to teh integral. First part should be from -infinty to zero and second one should be from zero to infinty.

Homework Equations

I solved this integral $$\int _{-\infty }^{\infty }x^{2}\left( \dfrac {1} {1-e^{-x}}+\dfrac {1} {1+qe^{-x}}\right) dx=\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }\dfrac {1} {n^{3}}-\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }\dfrac {\left( -q^{-1}\right) ^{n}} {n^{3}}$$ This integral is even function (0 < q < 1). So, i can change the integral from zero to infinty instead of from -infinty to infinty.

The Attempt at a Solution

How can i solve this integral? Do you have any idea ?

Physics news on Phys.org
msenay said:

Homework Statement

I need to solve this integral,

$$\int _{-\infty }^{\infty }x\left( \dfrac {1} {1-e^{-x}}+\dfrac {1} {1+qe^{-x}}\right) dx$$

My advisor said its solution will be zero. But i haven't improved it yet. There is important case. This integral is divergent at x=0. So, i should separate two parts to teh integral. First part should be from -infinty to zero and second one should be from zero to infinty.

Homework Equations

I solved this integral $$\int _{-\infty }^{\infty }x^{2}\left( \dfrac {1} {1-e^{-x}}+\dfrac {1} {1+qe^{-x}}\right) dx=\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }\dfrac {1} {n^{3}}-\sum _{n=1}^{\infty }\dfrac {\left( -q^{-1}\right) ^{n}} {n^{3}}$$ This integral is even function (0 < q < 1). So, i can change the integral from zero to infinty instead of from -infinty to infinty.

The Attempt at a Solution

How can i solve this integral? Do you have any idea ?
Something doesn't add up here:

Since ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} (\dfrac {1} {1-e^{-x}}+\dfrac {1} {1+qe^{-x}})=2##, I don't see how the integrals can converge.

The series ##\displaystyle \sum _{n=1}^{\infty }\dfrac {\left( -q^{-1}\right) ^{n}} {n^{3}}## doesn't converge for ##0<q<1##.

Question: which function is even?

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
Something doesn't add up here:

Since ##\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} (\dfrac {1} {1-e^{-x}}+\dfrac {1} {1+qe^{-x}})=2##, I don't see how the integrals can converge.

The series ##\displaystyle \sum _{n=1}^{\infty }\dfrac {\left( -q^{-1}\right) ^{n}} {n^{3}}## doesn't converge for ##0<q<1##.

Question: which function is even?
thansk for comment dear Samy_A. This kind of integral is called deformed Fermi-Dirac integral. if we can think limit q→1, these integral go to standard Fermi-Dirac integral. Also, you can find these kind of integral in many statistical physics books like Kerson Huang and R.K.Patriha. So, we can think that second integral is even. This is not so important. My aim is to calculate first integral. How i can solve it? Do you have any idea ?

msenay said:
thansk for comment dear Samy_A. This kind of integral is called deformed Fermi-Dirac integral. if we can think limit q→1, these integral go to standard Fermi-Dirac integral. Also, you can find these kind of integral in many statistical physics books like Kerson Huang and R.K.Patriha. So, we can think that second integral is even. This is not so important. My aim is to calculate first integral. How i can solve it? Do you have any idea ?
Ok, sorry, I thought these were usual integrals and series. I'll leave you in more competent hands.

msenay said:
I agree with Samy_A, try to check on your own the value of the integrand as ##x## approaches infinity.
I don't see how that integral will become the standard Fermi-Dirac integral even when ##q\rightarrow 1## for this integral reads
$$
F_s(\mu) = \int_0^\infty \frac{x^s}{1+e^{x-\mu}}dx
$$
Even when you set ##s=1## and ##\mu=0## and also for some unknown reason deliberately change the sign in front of the exponential term to minus, it does not match the integral you have there. I suspect that you misread the sign of the variable ##x## in the exponential, though.

blue_leaf77 said:
I agree with Samy_A, try to check on your own the value of the integrand as ##x## approaches infinity.
I don't see how that integral will become the standard Fermi-Dirac integral even when ##q\rightarrow 1## for this integral reads
$$
F_s(\mu) = \int_0^\infty \frac{x^s}{1+e^{x-\mu}}dx
$$
Even when you set ##s=1## and ##\mu=0## and also for some unknown reason deliberately change the sign in front of the exponential term to minus, it does not match the integral you have there. I suspect that you misread the sign of the variable ##x## in the exponential, though.
you should do some thing that these deforme Fermi-Dirac integral reduce to standard Fermi-Dirac integral. I didnt mention here. You can examine this article: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378437114003124?np=y. This is only one example. I know how these deforme integral can reduce to standard Fermi-Dirac integral limit q→1. But, this is not my question. I asked to you, how can calculate these integral?

msenay said:
I asked to you, how can calculate these integral?
We have implicitly answered your question by pointing out that
##
\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} (\dfrac {1} {1-e^{-x}}+\dfrac {1} {1+qe^{-x}})=2
##
Have you been able to prove the above equation?
msenay said:
Could you possibly be talking about the equations (23) and (24)? If yes, can you identify the difference between these equations with the one you posted above apart from the power of the polynomial ##x##?

blue_leaf77 said:
##
\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} (\dfrac {1} {1-e^{-x}}+\dfrac {1} {1+qe^{-x}})=2
##

Could you possibly be talking about the equations (23) and (24)? If yes, can you identify the difference between these equations with the one you posted above apart from the power of the polynomial ##x##?
blue_leaf77 said:
##
##

(23) and (24) equations have same form with mine, but not equal. I tried to solve power of polynomial x. But, there is some problem. We think that my integral has two part like from -infinity to zero and from zero to infinity.
blue_leaf77 said:
##
##

blue_leaf77 said:
##
##

blue_leaf77 said:
##
##

blue_leaf77 said:
##
##

Equations (23) and (24) have same form mine, but not equal. I tried to solve the power of the polynomial x. But, there is some problem. I can explain these. we think that we have two parts integral like from -infinty to zero and from zero to infinty. This is first part: http://texify.com/$%5Cint%20_%7B-%5Cinfty%20%7D%5E%7B0%7D%5Cdfrac%20%7Bxdx%7D%20%7B1-e%5E%7B-x%7D%7D%2B%5Cint%20_%7B-%5Cinfty%20%7D%5E%7B0%7D%5Cdfrac%20%7Bxdx%7D%20%7B1%2Bqe%5E%7B-x%7D%7D$ . This is second part. http://texify.com/$%5Cint%20_%7B0%7D%5E%7B%5Cinfty%20%7D%5Cdfrac%20%7Bxdx%7D%20%7B1-e%5E%7B-x%7D%7D%2B%5Cint%20_%7B0%7D%5E%7B%5Cinfty%20%7D%5Cdfrac%20%7Bxdx%7D%20%7B1%2Bqe%5E%7B-x%7D%7D$ .
The first part has two integral. First one can solve the power of the polynominal x. But second one can not solve because there is q parameter which is interval 0<q<1.
The second part has also two integral. Here, to define polynomial these integral, exp(x) should be small than 1. But, we don't have this condition here. So, we can not define these integral the power of the polynomial x.

Last edited by a moderator:
msenay said:
But, there is some problem. I can explain these.
The real problem with the integral is that the integrand blows up to infinity for ##x\rightarrow \infty##. Use a function plotter software to plot the integrand if you are not able to prove this mathematically.

blue_leaf77 said:
The real problem with the integral is that the integrand blows up to infinity for ##x\rightarrow \infty##. Use a function plotter software to plot the integrand if you are not able to prove this mathematically.
Yes, i know. Also, x=0 is problem. When i look limit at x=0, there is an divergent. I don't know how i can solve this integral. Thanks for best comment.

msenay said:
Also, x=0 is problem. When i look limit at x=0, there is an divergent.
The integrand at ##x=0## actually has a limit, i.e. it does not diverge there.
msenay said:
I don't know how i can solve this integral.
Well, what needs to be solved if we know that the integral diverges. It's pointless to find a closed form of the integral.

1. How do I solve a special Fermi-Dirac integral?

Solving a special Fermi-Dirac integral involves using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. It also requires a deep understanding of the properties and special functions of the Fermi-Dirac distribution. It is recommended to consult with a mathematics or physics expert for guidance on specific integrals.

2. What is the purpose of solving special Fermi-Dirac integrals?

Special Fermi-Dirac integrals are essential in many areas of physics, particularly in statistical mechanics and quantum theory. They help in calculating the distribution of fermions (particles with half-integer spin) in a system, which is crucial for understanding properties such as electron transport and thermodynamic properties of materials.

3. Are there any techniques or shortcuts for solving special Fermi-Dirac integrals?

While there are no specific shortcuts for solving special Fermi-Dirac integrals, there are some general principles and techniques that can help simplify the process. These include using symmetry properties, exploiting the special functions of the Fermi-Dirac distribution, and applying certain mathematical identities.

4. How can I verify the accuracy of my solution to a special Fermi-Dirac integral?

One way to verify the accuracy of a solution to a special Fermi-Dirac integral is to check if it satisfies the fundamental properties of the distribution, such as being bounded between 0 and 1 and having a specific functional form. Additionally, comparing the solution with known results or using numerical methods can also help confirm its accuracy.

5. Can special Fermi-Dirac integrals be solved analytically or do they require numerical methods?

Special Fermi-Dirac integrals can be solved analytically in some cases, particularly for simpler integrals with specific limits and parameters. However, in most cases, numerical methods are required to obtain an accurate solution. This is due to the complexity of the integrals and the lack of closed-form solutions for many of them.