Fraction of occupied states (Fermi-Dirac distribution + DOS)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
su3liminal1
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Find the percentage of these states that have electrons in them, assuming the number of electrons above Ec+2kT is negligible.
Relevant Equations
-
I just want to clear some confusion I am having with the Fermi-Dirac distribution & density of states (DOS) of a semiconductor, which are given by

1.png


Say we have a piece of Silicon in equilibrium and its Fermi level lies 0.25 eV below the conduction band edge, i.e. Ec - EF = 0.25 eV. Let us say we want to compute two things:
(1) Total number of states in the range Ec ≤ E ≤ E+ 2kBT.
(2) The percentage of these states that have electrons in them, assuming the number of electrons above Ec+2kBT is negligible.

For (1), it is straight forward: we just integrate the density of states function in the conduction band, gc(E) over the indicated range:
1568765673022.png

At room temperature and using an effective mass of silicon is, say, mn*=1.09m0. This yields
1568765694868.png


For (2), I know that the Fermi-Dirac distribution in this context represents the the probability of an electron occupying a state at energy E, which can also be interpreted as the ratio of filled state to total states at the energy. But I am really not sure what do here. Do I compute the difference of Fermi-Dirac distributions in that range, or do I integrate, or both are wrong?
 
Attachments
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 305
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

From part (1) you know the number of states (per m3) in the energy range ##E_c## to ##E_c + 2k_BT##. I think you can answer part (2) if you know how many electrons (per m3) have energies in this range.

Suppose you consider a small range of energies ##E## to ##E+dE##. Can you see how to get the number of electrons per m3 that have energies in this range? This will involve both ##g_c(E)## and ##f(E)##.