How Can I Solve These Complex Integrals?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Alexx1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dx
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 5K views
Alexx1
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
How do you solve these 3 integrals? :

Integral 1 : 1/(1+sqrt(x)) dx

Integral 2: (x^3)*(e^x^2)

Integral 3: (x*e^x)/((x+1)^2)

I have no idea how to solve these integrals..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alexx1! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Alexx1 said:
How do you solve these 3 integrals? :

Integral 1 : 1/(1+sqrt(x)) dx

Integral 2: (x^3)*(e^x^2)

Integral 3: (x*e^x)/((x+1)^2)

I have no idea how to solve these integrals..

For 1 and 2, use the obvious substitutions. :wink:
 


1) let [itex]1+\sqrt{x}=u[/itex]

2) let [itex]x^2=u[/itex] and then apply the integration by parts.

3) Apply integration by parts by letting [itex]u=xe^x[/itex] and [itex]v'=(x+1)^{-2}[/itex]


If you're still stuck after this, show us what you've done and we'll help you further. Good luck!
 


Mentallic said:
1) let [itex]1+\sqrt{x}=u[/itex]

2) let [itex]x^2=u[/itex] and then apply the integration by parts.

3) Apply integration by parts by letting [itex]u=xe^x[/itex] and [itex]v'=(x+1)^{-2}[/itex]


If you're still stuck after this, show us what you've done and we'll help you further. Good luck!

Thx! I found the third one.
But the first and the second one, is it like

u = 1+sqrt(x) --> du = 1/2sqrt(x) dx --> dx = 2sqrt(x) du
u = x^2 --> du = 2xdx --> dx = du/2


?

(I learned to use t = ... --> dt = ... dx)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Alexx1 said:
Thx! I found the third one.
But the first and the second one, is it like

u = 1+sqrt(x) --> du = 1/2sqrt(x) dx --> dx = 2sqrt(x) du
and sqrt(x)= u- 1 so dx= 2(u- 1)du

u = x^2 --> du = 2xdx --> dx = du/2
Yes, that's right.

?

(I learned to use t = ... --> dt = ... dx)
 


HallsofIvy said:
and sqrt(x)= u- 1 so dx= 2(u- 1)du


Yes, that's right.

For the first one I become:

integral: 2(u-1)/u du

= 2 (integral u/u du - integral 1/u du)

= 2 (u - ln u)

= 2 (sqrt(x)+1 - ln (sqrt(x)+1))

But the correct answer is: 2 (sqrt(x) - ln (sqrt(x)+1))

What have I done wrong?
 


HallsofIvy said:
Alexx1 said:
u = x^2 --> du = 2xdx --> dx = du/2
Yes, that's right.
No, that's wrong. Alex dropped a factor of x.

The substitution [itex]u=x^2[/itex] does lead to [itex]du=2x\,dx[/itex]. Solving for dx, [itex]dx=1/(2x)\,du[/itex], not [itex]du/2[/itex].

Alexx1: Try using this mixed form. (Alternately, look for a [itex]2x\,dx[/itex] in the integral.) using [tex]dx=1/(2\sqrt u)\,du[/tex] will just lead to confusion.
 


HallsofIvy said:
and sqrt(x)= u- 1 so dx= 2(u- 1)du


Yes, that's right.

D H said:
No, that's wrong. Alex dropped a factor of x.

The substitution [itex]u=x^2[/itex] does lead to [itex]du=2x\,dx[/itex]. Solving for dx, [itex]dx=1/(2x)\,du[/itex], not [itex]du/2[/itex].

Alexx1: Try using this mixed form. (Alternately, look for a [itex]2x\,dx[/itex] in the integral.) using [tex]dx=1/(2\sqrt u)\,du[/tex] will just lead to confusion.

I don't know how to find a 2x dx in the integral..
Can you explain it to me?
 


Alexx1 said:
= 2 (sqrt(x)+1 - ln (sqrt(x)+1))

But the correct answer is: 2 (sqrt(x) - ln (sqrt(x)+1))

What have I done wrong?

What you have done wrong is that you failed to realize that the extra 2 in the answer you got can be attached to the constant of integration.
Take the derivative of both and you'll have the same result :wink:
 


Alexx1 said:
I don't know how to find a 2x dx in the integral..
Can you explain it to me?
The integral in question is

[tex]\int x^3\,e^{x^2}\,dx[/tex]

Rewrite this as

[tex]\int x^2\,e^{x^2}\,xdx[/tex]
 


Mentallic said:
What you have done wrong is that you failed to realize that the extra 2 in the answer you got can be attached to the constant of integration.
Take the derivative of both and you'll have the same result :wink:

Thanks!
 


D H said:
The integral in question is

[tex]\int x^3\,e^{x^2}\,dx[/tex]

Rewrite this as

[tex]\int x^2\,e^{x^2}\,xdx[/tex]

If du = 2xdx than xdx = du/2 ..

Than you get: (1/2) * integral x^2 e^u du..

Or am I wrong?
 


Alexx1 said:
If du = 2xdx than xdx = du/2 ..

Than you get: (1/2) * integral x^2 e^u du..

Or am I wrong?
Correct -- but incomplete. Why did you make the u-substitution in the exponential but not for the rest of integral?
 


D H said:
Correct -- but incomplete. Why did you make the u-substitution in the exponential but not for the rest of integral?

Can you also help me with this integral?

1/(1+cos(x)+sin(x)) dx
 


Mentallic said:
What you have done wrong is that you failed to realize that the extra 2 in the answer you got can be attached to the constant of integration.
Take the derivative of both and you'll have the same result :wink:

Can you also help me with this integral?

1/(1+cos(x)+sin(x)) dx