How can I solve this limit without using L'Hôpital's rule?

• MHB
  • Thread starter goody1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses a limit that needs to be solved without using L'Hôpital's rule. One possible way to approach it is through series representations, although it is considered by some to be a "cheating" method. The conversation also includes the series representations for 2^x, 2^{sin(x)}, and cos(x). The final solution involves using the series representation for 2^{sin(x)} and simplifying the expression to get 1/3 ln(2). The conversation also mentions the possibility of other methods to solve the limit, but they have not been learned and may not be applicable in an exam situation.
goody1
I need to solve this limit without L'Hôpital's rule. Could someone give me a hint what
I need to do please? I just can't find this algebraic trick. Thank you in advance!

liii.png

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the usual ways to get around l'Hopital is to use series representations (which I personally think is cheating.) But this one's a monster to do this way.
\(\displaystyle 2^x \approx 1 + (x ~ ln(2) ) + \dfrac{1}{2} (x ~ ln(2) )^2 + \dfrac{1}{6} (x ~ ln(2) )^3 + \text{ ...}\)

\(\displaystyle 2^{sin(x)} \approx 1 + (x ~ ln(2) ) + \dfrac{1}{2} (x ~ ln(2) )^2 + \dfrac{1}{6} x^3 ( (ln(2)^3 - ln(2) ) + \text{ ...}\)

\(\displaystyle cos(x) \approx 1 - \dfrac{1}{2} x^2 + \text{ ...}\)
(These are MacLaurin series.)

So
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{ 2^x - 2^{sin(x)} }{x (1 - cos(x) ) } \approx \dfrac{ \dfrac{1}{6} x^3 ln(2) }{x \left ( 1 - \left ( 1 - \dfrac{1}{2} x^2 \right ) \right ) } = \dfrac{1}{3} ln(2)\)

Ugly, but doable. (And yes, I did the \(\displaystyle 2^{sin(x)}\) series myself. I only checked it with W|A.)

-Dan

Thank you for showing me this solution, it looks pretty elegant! But do you think there is other possible way how to solve it? The problem is we've never learned this method so I think I can't use it on my exam when we'll have to solve similar trigonometric limit.

1. How do I solve a limit without using L'Hôpital's rule?

To solve a limit without using L'Hôpital's rule, you can try using algebraic manipulation, factoring, or substitution to simplify the expression until it becomes indeterminate. You can also try using other limit theorems, such as the Squeeze Theorem or the Limit of a Quotient Theorem.

2. What is L'Hôpital's rule and why should I not use it?

L'Hôpital's rule is a mathematical theorem that allows you to evaluate certain limits involving indeterminate forms. However, it should not be used as a shortcut for solving all limits, as it may not always work and can sometimes lead to incorrect results.

3. Can I use L'Hôpital's rule for all types of limits?

No, L'Hôpital's rule can only be used for certain types of limits, specifically those that involve indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used for limits that do not have an indeterminate form.

4. Are there any other methods for solving limits besides L'Hôpital's rule?

Yes, there are several other methods for solving limits, such as algebraic manipulation, factoring, substitution, and using limit theorems. It is important to understand and practice different methods in order to determine the best approach for each specific limit problem.

5. Is it necessary to learn how to solve limits without using L'Hôpital's rule?

Yes, it is important to learn how to solve limits without relying solely on L'Hôpital's rule. This will not only help you to better understand the concept of limits, but it will also allow you to solve a wider range of limit problems and avoid any potential errors that may arise from relying solely on L'Hôpital's rule.