How can I use electrostatics to collect dust in my home?

In summary, Dane is trying to find a way to attract small dust particles in a household environment to a surface. He has no physics or engineering skills, but he is looking for a way to have a surface with a constant charge, as this may be the way to achieve this. He does not need to actively push air through it, and the surface should be flat and metal. Dane asks for help and thanks the person for their time.
danem
hi,
i'm trying to find a way to attract small dust particles in a household environment to a surface.
i have no physics and no engineering skills whatsoever so this is all new to me, but what i am wanting to do is have a surface with a constant charge, as perhaps this is the way to achieve this (in order that it always collect and continue to collect), so that small particles that come within its field will remain stuck to it.
it doesn't need to be actively pushing air through it, in fact, more ideally it would be a flat surface, painted/metal.
how do i do this??
any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
dane
ps even cylinder rods would be ok, if it works...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
We had an electrostatic dust precipitator installed in the furnace in our previous house. There were 3 screens, about 18" square, separated by about 1.25 inches. The mesh was perhaps 1/8 to 1/4 inches square. The two outside screens were grounded, and the inner screen was perhaps 20,000 volts DC.

ok, so if i understand right, if i was to get some large sheets of metal (which metal in particular? and what thickness? and can i powder-coat/paint it - or would that act as an insulator?) and I'm guessing there has to be some relationship between the size of these sheets and the voltage? and then have some wire mesh (of any particular kind - or any mesh as long as its perforated?) so the middle screen was not grounded but connected to the power source? and the mesh, was that not attached, nor grounded? 20,000 volts DC seems like a lot, how do i regulate that, and what would be the safest way to ground the outer sheets? plus, I'm assuming it would be dangerous to touch any of this once attached to power?
thanks again...and sorry for my huge number of questions.

Related to How can I use electrostatics to collect dust in my home?

What is electrostatic dust collection?

Electrostatic dust collection is a method for removing dust and other particles from a gas stream by using an electric field. Dust particles are electrically charged and then attracted to an oppositely charged surface, where they are collected and removed.

How does electrostatic dust collection work?

Electrostatic dust collection works by creating an electric field between two electrodes or plates. As the gas stream passes between the plates, the dust particles become charged and are attracted to the oppositely charged plate. The dust particles then stick to the plate and are removed from the gas stream.

What are the advantages of electrostatic dust collection?

Electrostatic dust collection has several advantages, including high efficiency in removing particles, low energy consumption, and the ability to handle high temperatures and corrosive gases. It also does not require the use of filters, which can be expensive and require frequent replacement.

What are the limitations of electrostatic dust collection?

Electrostatic dust collection may not be suitable for all types of dust or gas streams. It may also produce ozone, which can be harmful to health and the environment. Additionally, the equipment and maintenance costs for electrostatic dust collection can be high.

What industries use electrostatic dust collection?

Electrostatic dust collection is commonly used in industries such as power generation, cement production, steel mills, and chemical processing. It is also used in air pollution control systems for industrial boilers and incinerators.