How Can Reduction Formulas Simplify the Integral of \( x^m(1-x)^n \)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kioria
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
1. The problem

Show that [tex]\int^{1}_{0}x^{m}(1-x)^{n} dx = \frac{m!n!}{(m+n+1)!}[/tex] for all integers [tex]m, n \geq 0[/tex]

The question is under "Reduction" topic, so I assume we solve this via reduction.

2. My attempt

My attempt is as follows:

Let [tex]x = cos^{2}x[/tex]

Then we get [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int cos^{2m-1}sin^{2n-1}dx[/tex]

From here I use the reduction formula: [tex]I_{m, n} : \frac{m-1}{m+n} : m \geq 2[/tex] or [tex]\frac{n-1}{m+n} : n \geq 2[/tex]

It seems like I am on the right track, but it's not working out properly. Am I missing something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
don't really know how to help but...

wow. that looks like a monster problem! what hideousness of an equation that is!
 
Solve using integration by parts. You should get a redundant term or otherwise be able to simplify the problem in a few steps. The substitution method looks unnecessarily complicated here, and that too is based on integration by parts...so you'd be better off trying this problem from the basics up.