Finding room temperature from speed of sound in open-closed tube

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
SelenaT
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the room temperature by using the speed of sound formula and using the given values.

Known Data:
Frequency = 480 Hz
2nd Resonant length = 54cm or 0.54m

Homework Equations


v = 331 + (0.60)T
T = (v - 331)/0.60

v = fλ

(Open-Closed air column)
L = (3/4)λ

The Attempt at a Solution



(1) v = fλ
= 480Hz (0.53m)
= 254.4m/s

(2) T = (254.4m/s) - 331 / 0.60
= -127.6 degrees celsius[/B]

I highly doubt the temperature is this low. I realized that I used the wavelength as the resonant length so, I decided to solve for λ using the resonant length. I did the same process again but using the calculated λ but it didnt work either.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
I don't understand how you got 0.53m. You don't seem to have used the ##L=(3/4)\lambda## formula.

Sorry, forgot to give a little context. I will remember next time.

This is a follow up question for an experiment that I did. Using an open-closed air column, I found that the second resonant length was 0.53m
 
SelenaT said:
Sorry, forgot to give a little context. I will remember next time.

This is a follow up question for an experiment that I did. Using an open-closed air column, I found that the second resonant length was 0.53m
OK, but that's L, not ##\lambda##. You plugged that value into your ##v=f\lambda## formula.