How can we combine metal and fiber together?

• Thread starter Thenymphadora
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fiber Metal
In summary, adding carbon fiber to steel will decrease the stiffness and overall strength of the joint. Epoxy should be used to attach the sheets together.
Thenymphadora
Hello,

I would like to ask something here. If I would like to combine metal and fiber, what method is the the best because we can't simply glue them together. what material can hold them together. And can we test the strength of them after they stick together using ANSYS software? It would be great if Ansys can generate tensile graph as well. If ANSYS cannot, what software should i use?

(I'm sorry if my english is not good)

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by combine? If you want to throw a layer of some material on a sheet of metal, you can absolutely glue it on. Elmer's won't work, obviously, but an appropriate selection of epoxy or similar material would in many cases.

Actually I am doing an engineering project for my bachelor. I am looking for a method to use both metal and fiber together in underwater condition. We can't simply glue them together if we are building a ship from metal and fiber. So I am looking for the strongest way to combine them together.

Thenymphadora said:
Hello,

I would like to ask something here. If I would like to combine metal and fiber, what method is the the best because we can't simply glue them together. what material can hold them together. And can we test the strength of them after they stick together using ANSYS software? It would be great if Ansys can generate tensile graph as well. If ANSYS cannot, what software should i use?

(I'm sorry if my english is not good)

Thenymphadora said:
Actually I am doing an engineering project for my bachelor. I am looking for a method to use both metal and fiber together in underwater condition. We can't simply glue them together if we are building a ship from metal and fiber. So I am looking for the strongest way to combine them together.

By "fiber", do you mean carbon fiber composites? Or do you mean a fabric of some sort?

yes..its carbon fiber composites.

Are you talking about a sheet of metal (steel or aluminium?) and a sheet of CFC? In that case some form of epoxy should work.

Best results would obviously be achieved if you use the epoxy on overlapping faces of the sheets, i.e. not end to end. This wille depend on the expected loading mechanism on the joint

As far as putting CF on steel, really some form of epoxy (call 3M and see if they have anything to fit your application) is, as far as I know, your only real option. Drilling holes for bolts and rivets may (or will likely) decrease the structural integrity of the CF.

Are you are talking about some sort of steel subframe, rather than sheet-on-sheet?

My question: what do you hope to gain from the addition of CF on steel (from what I understand, CF and Aluminum don't mix well over the long haul, though there are ways around that I think)? They're both strong, but they have different stiffnesses, and that will likely become a major problem when the components are loaded and unloaded.

Is this for a hull, or a keel, or what?

Adding steel to CF kind of defeats the purpose of the CF in the first place, no?

This article might be of some help. Worth a look

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/testing-large-bonded-in-fasteners/

Check out this thread as well: Here

Thanks Travis King.. I am starting to find my answer in the article you linked me.. Thanks for everybody help..

1. How can metal and fiber be combined?

Metal and fiber can be combined through a process called metal fiber weaving, where metal wires are woven together with fibers to create a composite material. This can also be achieved through techniques such as metal coating or metal injection molding.

2. What are the advantages of combining metal and fiber?

Combining metal and fiber can result in a material that possesses the strength and durability of metal, while also having the flexibility and lightweight properties of fiber. This makes it ideal for applications where both strength and flexibility are required, such as in the aerospace industry.

3. How does the process of combining metal and fiber work?

The process of combining metal and fiber depends on the specific technique being used. In metal fiber weaving, metal wires are woven together with fibers using specialized machines. In metal coating, a layer of metal is applied onto the surface of the fiber. In metal injection molding, metal particles are mixed with a binder and injected into a mold to shape the final product.

4. What types of metals and fibers can be combined?

Almost any type of metal and fiber can be combined, as long as they are compatible with each other and the chosen technique. Common metals used include steel, aluminum, and titanium, while common fibers include carbon, glass, and aramid fibers.

5. What are some potential applications of combining metal and fiber?

The combination of metal and fiber can be used in a wide range of applications, such as in the production of lightweight and strong automotive parts, aircraft components, and sporting goods equipment. It can also be used in the construction industry for reinforcement purposes, and in the medical field for creating strong and flexible implants.