How Can We Deform a Material to Maximize Its Gravitational Field at a Point?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Material Uniform
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
2,802
Reaction score
605
Consider a piece of a deformable material with mass m and constant density [itex]\rho[/itex]. To what shape should we deform it so that its gravitational field is maximum in a given point?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks a bit like homework, so I'll start with a hint: for the best shape, every point on the surface will contribute the same to the gravitational field strength (I guess field strength is meant, not potential).
 
This isn't a homework, because I have no idea what to do about it!
I should say that just naming a shape isn't enough, the equation of the shape should be derived somehow!