How can we prove the continuity of ln x over (0, ∞)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
evagelos
Messages
314
Reaction score
0
how can we prove that lun x is continuous over (0, [tex]\infty[/tex] )?

Provided that we define : lun x =y <=> [tex]e^y =x[/tex]?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


lnx - lnu = ln(x/u). For any fixed x > 0, u->x => x/u -> 1 and ln1=0.

You can dress this proof up.
 


mathman said:
lnx - lnu = ln(x/u). For any fixed x > 0, u->x => x/u -> 1 and ln1=0.

You can dress this proof up.

Can you elaborate a little more ? I do not how to start
 


I am not sure what you are given to start with. For example are you assuming ey is continuous? My proof (I admit) is somewhat flawed. It needs continuity of ln(x) for x=1, which then implies continuity for all x.